INTERNATIONAL LABOUR OFFICE
ILO Country Office for Ethiopia, Djibouti, Somalia, Sudan and South Sudan,
and for the Special Representative to the AU and the ECA
The ILO CO-Addis Ababa, is seeking to recruit a highly motivated and qualified candidate for the following position for a period of 8 months (Short Term).
National Programme Officer (NOA)
The International Labour Organization is the UN agency that promotes the global goal of Decent Work. The ILO Country Office of Addis Ababa covers five Eastern African countries namely, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Somalia, Sudan and South Sudan. The Country Office provides support to its constituents through developing a national framework programme called Decent work Country Programme (DWCP) that addresses country priorities identified by constituents in collaboration with ILO Country Office. The framework is aimed at facilitating the delivery of ILO's support to the respective countries toward ensuring sustainable poverty reduction through the integration of decent work priorities with in the national development agenda as set out in the respective countries’ national development plans. As one of the countries covered by the CO Addis Ababa, the constituents in South Sudan have prepared with the support of the ILO a “transitional” Decent work programme. Given the prevailing instability in the country, and in line with UNCT’s practice, such a lighter version of a DWCP is expected to frame ILO’s interventions in South Sudan over a 2 year period. This work builds on programming work completed in 2012 that had produced and advanced draft of a Country Programme.
In order to facilitate the implementation of the programme, the ILO CO Addis Ababa is seeking to hire a national programme officer who will be based in Juba and closely liaise with our constituents. The National Programme Officer will work under the Director of the Country Office to provide programmatic, administrative, research and analysis assistance in this capacity.
The National Programme Officer will work in collaboration with the programming unit of the CO Addis Ababa and will work under the direct supervision and responsibility of the Director of the CO Addis Ababa. S/he will undertake the following duties:
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Support the implementation of the interim Decent Work Country Programme of South Sudan.
- Review and analyse information for preparation and maintenance of reports and records pertaining to activities of the unit, including business plan and periodic reports.
- Monitor progress of ILO involvement and especially the integration of Decent Work into the various UN reform processes including UNDAFs.
- Follow up with relevant UN Agencies and ILO Units to expedite implementation and meet targets.
- Provide programming and administrative support including the development and maintenance of filing or reference system for easy access to information and office organization.
- Assist the CO Addis Ababa in facilitating efficient communication to and coordination of partners by preparing and following up all correspondence including the maintenance of updated mailing lists.
- Monitor agreed schedules, organize and participate in meetings with the Government and social partners in South Sudan.
- Actively participate in the organization of conferences, seminars, training workshops and meetings on behalf of the CO Addis Ababa.
- Take own initiative and perform work daily to facilitate the effective operations of the CO Addis.
- Ensure that administrative protocol is followed with other clusters and departments, regional and country offices as well as other agencies outside the ILO.
- Any other required duties
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
Education – The minimum of first level university degree in social sciences.
Experience – At least two years of experience in an international development setting particularly in programmatic work.
Languages – Excellent knowledge of English
- Knowledge of results based planning and programme cycle; analytical skills;
- Good computer application knowledge; Good drafting skills; ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing; organizational skills and ability to work on own initiative and as a team member.
- Ability to clarify information
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as a member of a team.
- Ability to deal with people with tack and diplomacy.
- Ability to supervise staff
DUTY STATION AND REMUNERATION
The position will be based in Juba, South Sudan. The ILO offers a competitive remuneration package in accordance with the United Nations common system of salaries, allowances and benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Deadline for submitting applications: 15 November 2017
Newer news items:
- Vacancy Announcements at UNICEF MENA Regional Office, Jordan Country Office & Sudan Country Office - 20/11/2017
- FAO - Project Assistant Abyei - 20/11/2017
- UNHCR Internal/External Vacancy Notice : Supply Assistant, G4, (PN 10027664), FO Bor - 09/11/2017
- FAO Vacancy Announcement - Project Specialist - 07/11/2017
- Vacancy Announcement: NUNV Field Support Programme Officer. UNICEF South Sudan - 30/10/2017
Older news items:
- FAO - PROJECT ASSISTANT (ADMIN &LOGISTICS) - Yambio - 13/10/2017
- FAO - STORE KEEPER - Yambio - 13/10/2017
- FAO - Driver wanted, immediate start - Yambio - 13/10/2017
- FAO - Vacancy Announcement - National Programme officer Juba - 02/10/2017
- FAO - Vacancy Announcements - Driver Torit / Kapoeta /Pibor-1 - 26/09/2017
Popular news items:
- Various Posts in UNICEF South Sudan - 01/07/2012 - Read 161632 times
- Vacancy announcement from World Food Programme ,South Sudan Country office - 27/06/2016 - Read 50057 times
- 5 Uinted Nations Volunteers (UNV) Vacancies for South Sudanese Nationals - 31/03/2017 - Read 24589 times
- UNICEF - Communication Officer - Juba - 16/07/2012 - Read 20702 times
- South Sudan embassy various vacancies - Washington DC - 11/08/2012 - Read 19480 times