
A photo collage of Bomet Senator Hillary Sigei and a Cessna 208 Caravan operated by CityLink after crashing on April 27 (FILE)
Bomet Senator Hillary Sigei has urged the government to urgently repatriate the remains of two Kenyans who died in a plane crash in South Sudan more than a month ago.
Sigei wants the Ministry of Foreign and Diaspora Affairs to explain the fate of the bodies of Captain Francis Lagat Rutto and Brian Mwenge, who were among 14 people killed in the April 27 crash near Juba.
Sigei said it was worrying that the remains of the two Kenyans had not been returned home for burial despite the passage of more than a month since the tragedy.
"It is deeply concerning that more than a month since this tragedy, the remains of the two Kenyan nationals have not been repatriated to their families for proper and dignified last rites and burial," the senator said.
The lawmaker sought a statement from the Senate Committee on National Security, Defence and Foreign Relations on measures taken by the Ministry of Foreign and Diaspora Affairs to facilitate the identification and repatriation of the victims.
He also demanded timelines for the return of the remains and sought clarity on who would bear the costs associated with the repatriation process.
Additionally, Sigei questioned whether the ministry had established communication channels with the affected families to provide timely updates regarding identification and repatriation efforts.
The senator further sought to know whether consular support had been extended to the bereaved families during the difficult period.
Captain Rutto, a pilot from Chebole in Bomet County's Kipsonoi Ward in Sotik Constituency and Mwenge from Lurambi Constituency in Kakamega County, were among those who perished in the crash.
The tragic accident occurred on April 27 when a Cessna 208B Grand Caravan operated by CityLink Aviation crashed in South Sudan while travelling from Yei to Juba.
According to the South Sudan Civil Aviation Authority, the aircraft, registration 5Y-NOK, departed Yei Airport at 9.15am en route to Juba International Airport.
Communication with the plane was lost at around 9.43am, about 28 minutes after take-off. The wreckage was later found approximately 20 kilometres southwest of Juba.
Authorities confirmed that all 14 people on board; 13 passengers and one pilot died in the crash. The victims included two Kenyans and 12 South Sudanese nationals.
South Sudan authorities said the bodies of those on board were burnt beyond recognition, complicating identification efforts.
Preliminary investigations suggested that adverse weather conditions and poor visibility may have contributed to the accident, although investigations remain ongoing.
The crash added to South Sudan's long history of aviation accidents. More than 55 aircraft crashes have been recorded in the country since its independence in 2011, resulting in dozens of deaths.
Experts have previously linked many of the accidents to ageing aircraft, weak regulatory oversight, overloading, poor weather conditions and pilot error.
In January last year, at least 20 oil workers died after a plane headed for Juba crashed three minutes after take-off near oil fields in Unity State.
South Sudan's deadliest air disaster occurred in November 2015 when an Antonov aircraft crashed near Juba Airport, killing 41 people.
Source: https://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2026-06-15-senator-bring-home-kenyans-killed-in-s-sudan-plane-crash
Newer articles:
- UNHCR Calls to Expand Refugee Resettlement Lifeline as Part of Global Solutions Drive - 17/06/2026 13:48
- 46 former LRA returnees to undergo Acholi cultural cleansing rites - 17/06/2026 13:43
- 12th Chinese peacekeeping infantry battalion to South Sudan (Juba) completes armed patrol mission in Mongalla - 17/06/2026 13:40
- UNICEF South Sudan Flash Update External (Focus on Akobo), June 2026 - 17/06/2026 13:36
- South Sudan Approves SSP 11.3 Trillion Budget to Drive Food Security, Economic Diversification and Sustainable Peace - 15/06/2026 19:44
Older news items
- Global Peace Index 2026: Horn of Africa wars now form one world’s dangerous conflict system - 15/06/2026 19:38
- Youth voices unite in UNMISS event to call for sustained peace - 15/06/2026 19:35
- Uganda, South Sudan triumph in CECAFA U-17 Women’s Championship - 15/06/2026 19:33
- South Sudanese whistleblower reported abducted in Kenya - 12/06/2026 12:38
- Two men convicted in UK of trying to send weapons to conflict zones, including South Sudan - 12/06/2026 12:36
Latest news items (all categories):
- South Sudan pushes cashless transition - 17/08/2026 15:09
- SouthSudanese boys aged 14-17 charged with piloting migrant boats from Africa to Crete - 17/08/2026 15:06
- Surge of casualties in South Sudan as conflict intensifies: ‘It’s heartbreaking’ - 17/08/2026 15:01
- Peacekeepers of 12th Chinese Peacekeeping Infantry Battalion to South Sudan (Juba) awarded Force Commander's Commendation - 17/08/2026 14:59
- US ends temporary protection for Somalia, South Sudan, Cameroon and Ethiopia - 17/08/2026 13:45
See also (all categories):
Random articles (all categories):
- South Sudan army 'shoots down' UN chopper - The Australian - 21/12/2012 17:35
- South Sudan politician Paul Malong denies he embezzled millions of dollars in war-torn country - 14/10/2018 15:05
- South Sudan Says GERD Won’t Have Negative Impact, Catalyst for Regional Integration - 16/08/2022 10:00
- First group of stranded South Sudanese to be repatriated - GlobalPost - 13/05/2012 11:16
- Vietnamese officers assigned to UN peacekeeping missions in South Sudan, Abyei - 10/08/2026 14:30
Popular articles:
- Who is the darkest person in the world, according to Guinness World Record? - 25/10/2022 02:34 - Read 148560 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - 01/04/2012 17:58 - Read 27961 times
- Top 10 weakest currency exchange rates in Africa in 2023 - 19/07/2023 00:24 - Read 25044 times
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 15:02 - Read 24368 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 01:44 - Read 22318 times