
The UN Secretary-General has strongly condemned the surge in violence across South Sudan, warning that civilians and aid workers are paying a devastating price as humanitarian operations are increasingly targeted.
In a statement issued by his Deputy Spokesperson, Farhan Haq on Saturday, the UN chief said nearly 10 million people – “more than two thirds of the population” – now require life-saving humanitarian assistance and “continue to bear the brunt of the conflict”.
He expressed grave concern over fighting, attacks and looting affecting humanitarian and health facilities, as well as movement restrictions and insecurity along key supply routes.
These conditions, the statement said, are “crippling humanitarian operations and shutting down essential services, placing civilians, including aid workers, at serious risk”.
Healthcare services attacked
Since late December, at least 11 healthcare facilities have been attacked in Jonglei State alone, disrupting critical services for communities already under severe strain. The assaults have also involved the seizure of 12 vehicles, including an ambulance.
“In the past week alone,” the statement noted, incidents have included “repeated attacks on a World Food Programme (WFP) convoy, an airstrike on a hospital run by the leading NGO Médecins Sans Frontières, and the burning of a Save the Children field office and destruction of its health centre”.
The Secretary-General said that “this clear disregard for medical and humanitarian operations is unacceptable and must stop”, stressing that such work “must be facilitated and respected”.
The violence has driven mass displacement, with more than 370,000 people reportedly forced from their homes so far this year, including over 280,000 in Jonglei State, amid a rapidly worsening cholera outbreak.
South Sudan, the world’s youngest nation, gained independence from Khartoum in 2011 but soon descended into a brutal civil conflict marked by political rivalry, ethnic violence and repeated peace deal breakdowns.
'Immediate and decisive' end to fighting needed
Despite a 2018 agreement, insecurity and localised fighting have continued to undermine stability and recovery.
The UN chief called on all parties to “immediately and decisively halt all military operations”, de-escalate tensions through dialogue, uphold international law, protect civilians and ensure safe, sustained humanitarian access, including the security of aid workers and UN peacekeepers.
Source: https://news.un.org/en/story/2026/02/1166921
Newer articles:
- A simple guide to the crisis in South Sudan - 11/02/2026 20:04
- South Sudan, Somalia ranked world’s most corrupt countries in 2025 - 11/02/2026 19:59
- The Anatomy of a Fractured Sovereignty: South Sudan’s Perpetual War of Inherited Grievances - 11/02/2026 19:57
- U.N. raises red flag as South Sudan slides toward ‘dangerous precipice’ over political deadlock - 11/02/2026 19:54
- Juba Welcomes Sudan’s Return to “IGAD” - 11/02/2026 19:49
Older news items
- 27 Kenyan Police officers awarded UN service medals in South Sudan - 09/02/2026 11:21
- Peter Biar Ajak jailed in US arms conspiracy case - 09/02/2026 11:16
- South Sudan Needs $13bn Climate Adaptation Push by 2050: New CCDR Warns - 06/02/2026 14:01
- World Bank : South Sudan Public Finance Review 2026 - 06/02/2026 13:55
- South Sudan's leader sacks aides after dead man appointed - 06/02/2026 13:45
Latest news items (all categories):
- South Sudan Pushes Back Against External Pressure, Insists Elections Must End Prolonged Transition - 21/08/2026 16:59
- UN: As elections near, South Sudan risks new atrocity crimes - 21/08/2026 16:55
- What does it mean for Haiti and South Sudan if their citizens are forced to return? - 21/08/2026 16:53
- SOUTH SUDAN: Cardinal Challenges New Priests to Promote Peace - 21/08/2026 16:51
- South Sudan releases Ugandan drivers, trucks seized for military use - 21/08/2026 16:49
See also (all categories):
Random articles (all categories):
- South Sudan’s lifts Covid-19 restrictions, travelers to present vaccination cards - 31/10/2022 05:28
- UN worries over South Sudan’s Jonglei clashes - 15/07/2013 10:41
- Hon. Emmanuel Adil Anthony is a Leader of Great Achievements - 12/09/2022 00:01
- In South Sudan, mothers and their children born of rape become forgotten victims of war - 28/11/2017 16:17
- South Sudan: how education is transforming the lives of displaced girls and women - 27/03/2020 08:09
Popular articles:
- Who is the darkest person in the world, according to Guinness World Record? - 25/10/2022 02:34 - Read 148770 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - 01/04/2012 17:58 - Read 27982 times
- Top 10 weakest currency exchange rates in Africa in 2023 - 19/07/2023 00:24 - Read 25071 times
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 15:02 - Read 24385 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 01:44 - Read 22331 times