Job no: 545697
Contract type: Internship
Location: South Sudan
Categories: Communication / External Relations
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Communication
Purpose of the internship
The Communication section of UNICEF South Sudan coordinates all external communication activities of UNICEF South Sudan, including a Child Reporters programme. In its external communication work, UNICEF South Sudan wants to ensure that children get the opportunity to get their voices heard. Hence, the communication section has set up the UNICEF Child Reporters programme providing children a platform to share their views and opinions.
Key Duties and Tasks:
Under the supervision of the national communication officer, the intern will:
- Work on the roll-out out the UNICEF Child Reporters programme
- Identify and recruit UNICEF Child Reporters
- Collect duly signed consent forms of children participating in the UNICEF Child Reporters programme
- Support the training of UNICEF Child Reporters in communication, reporting and advocacy activities
- Assist UNICEF Child Reporters in running advocacy campaigns to make their voices heard
- Help UNICEF Child Reporters with the production and dissemination of their messages and stories
- Interact with governmental and non-governmental partners of the UNICEF Child Reporters programmes, including media partners and school
- Assist the communication section with other activities related to media work, content generation, storytelling, social media work and administrative tasks.
To qualify, you are:
Education: Current enrolment in, or recent graduate from an undergraduate or master’s programme within the last two years in business or public administration, international law, international relations, social sciences, communication or related field. Have excellent academic performance as demonstrated by recent university or institution records.
Language: Fluency in English and Juba Arabic is required.
- Good reading skills: Ability to read and understand English articles.
- Good writing skills: ability to write articles and reports, and to edit texts produced by others.
- Good technical skills: familiarity with MS Office and ability to conduct comprehensive research via internet research.
- Good communication skills: Ability to work independently and as a team member both within and outside the office.
- Experience in a similar field would be beneficial but is not essential.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
- Respect for and adherence to UNICEF’s core values of Care, Integrate, Trust, respect and Accountability;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team working skills and capacity to work in a multicultural environment;
- Strong drive for results, setting high standards for the quality of work;
- Interest in learning and researching, gathering comprehensive information to support decision making.
Conditions of Intern:
- Health/Medical insurance: Intern is required to hold valid health/accident insurance. UNICEF accepts no responsibilities for costs arising from accidents and/or illness incurred during the internship whether on or off UNICEF premises.
- Employment: There is no expectancy of employment at the end of the internship.
- Salary/Payment: UNICEF will pay a monthly stipend to the intern as per UNICEF procedure on internship programme.
How to apply:
- If you recognize yourself from the above and wish to make a difference for every child; you are requested to apply through this online system. When you apply, please attach the following:
- your CV and a cover letter in English to state the majors/areas of your study and the reason for application;
- include two letters of recommendation (can be from employers, internships, university professor, etc.);
- attach a proof of excellent academic performance/transcript through recent university or institution records;
- provide proof of medical and life insurance.
- Only qualified applicants will be short-listed and notified for further screening and interview. Thank you for your understanding.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are...
- Nurtures, Leads and Manages People (I)
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (I)
- Works Collaboratively with others (I)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (I)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (I)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (II)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (I)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (I)
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
Click here to learn more about UNICEF’s values and competencies.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Advertised: E. Africa Standard Time
Deadline: E. Africa Standard Time
Newer news items:
- UNOCHA Vacancy Announcement - Recruitment - Position No. 00171737 - Driver GS2 in Juba, South Sudan - 18/11/2021
- UN Resident Coordinator Offices (UN RCO) - ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT, G6, Juba - 18/11/2021
- Vacancies with UNICEF South Sudan Country Office, Juba - 12/11/2021
- HSSE Consultant - Health Safety Site Inspections - South Sudan - 31/10/2021
- Volunteer Website Developer - Centre for Emergency and Developemt Support, Juba - 30/10/2021
Older news items:
- UNESCO Vacancy Announcement - Administrative Assistant - GS5 - 23/10/2021
- World Food Programme (WFP) Vacant Position (South Sudanese nationals) - 20/09/2021
- World Food Programme Vacant Positions (International Professionals) - 20/09/2021
- UNDP Active Adverts - South Sudan - 14/09/2021
- World Food Programme (WFP) Vacancies Announcement (X5) - 09/09/2021
Popular news items:
- Various Posts in UNICEF South Sudan - 01/07/2012 - Read 207228 times
- Vacancy announcement from World Food Programme ,South Sudan Country office - 27/06/2016 - Read 59448 times
- 5 Uinted Nations Volunteers (UNV) Vacancies for South Sudanese Nationals - 31/03/2017 - Read 35028 times
- UNICEF - Communication Officer - Juba - 16/07/2012 - Read 23452 times
- South Sudan embassy various vacancies - Washington DC - 11/08/2012 - Read 22333 times