Sudan?s FM denies involvement in action to dismember the SPLM in Upper Nile
28 February 2007
Feb 28, 2007 (KHARTOUM) Sudan FM Dr Lam Akol has dismissed reports alleging that he is under investigation by the Sudan People?s Liberation Movement (SPLM) leadership.
In a press statement issued yesterday, the Sudanese Foreign minister and senior SPLM member denied report saying that First Vice President and president of the SPLM had formed a committee to probe his involvement in a political movement hindering the SPLM activities in Upper Nile State.
According to Akol, the last meeting of the SPLM?s Interim National Council in Yei ?resolved to send to Malakal a Fact Finding Committee (FFC) to look into how the SPLM was being run in Upper Nile State.?
Reports said that an investigation committee headed by Kosti Manibe, the minister of humanitarian affairs and senior SPLM member to probe accusations that Akol is working to dismember the SPLM in Upper Nile and being the leader and financier of the Modern Southern Front (MSF).
The foreign minister said he would not personally be investigated by this committee ?the resolution was prompted by allegations raised by some members in relation to the students? organization, the Modern Southern Front (MSF). Hence, NOBODY will be investigated.?
However, he expressed his readiness to cooperate with the committee like any interested member in the SPLM ?The FFC will receive evidence from each and every member of the SPLM willing to testify or whose testimony the FFC sees essential for the accomplishment of its mission.?
Below the text of the press release.PUBLIC STATEMENT
Feb 27, 2007 ? Sections of the press have been reporting in the last few days that the SPLM has issued an order to investigate Dr Lam Akol Ajawin. I would like to state in no uncertain terms that nothing could be further from the truth. The truth is that the Interim National Council (INC) in its meeting on the 8th instant in Yei resolved to send to Malakal a Fact Finding Committee (FFC) to look into how the SPLM was being run in Upper Nile State. The resolution was prompted by allegations raised by some members in relation to the students? organization, the Modern Southern Front (MSF). Hence, NOBODY will be investigated. The FFC will receive evidence from each and every member of the SPLM willing to testify or whose testimony the FFC sees essential for the accomplishment of its mission. We should all cooperate with the FFC so that this matter is laid to rest once and for all.
The public should remain calm and not react to provocations from people who would like to distort facts and spread disinformation in the service of circles outside the SPLM.
Dr Lam Akol,
Member of the Interim Political Bureau, SPLM.
Newer news items:
- Dr. Akol, Natsios discuss Darfur issue and progress of implementation of Naivasha agreement - 11/03/2007
- Fighting Ignorance And Stigma On a Shoestring - 11/03/2007
- SPLM General Secretary Pagan 'safe and well' - 06/03/2007
- SHILLUK INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS IS NOT A CREATION OF LAM AKOL - 06/03/2007
- Nuer and Equatorians condemn Sudan SPLM Secretary General - 02/03/2007
Older news items:
Popular news items:
- The Final Communique of SPLM-DC Third Session of the National Council - 29/03/2011 - Read 61403 times
- Roles and Definition of Political Parties - 29/04/2011 - Read 55429 times
- Agriculture in Southern Sudan: Challenges and Investment Opportunities - 06/10/2010 - Read 32792 times
- Fashoda Youth Forum Rehabilitation of Drainage Culverts in Malakal town Report - 07/08/2008 - Read 26407 times
- Dozens of gunmen on horseback ambush peacekeepers - 24/05/2008 - Read 23879 times