Sudan?s FM accused of supporting Upper Nile militia
Friday 23 February 2007 00:55.
Feb 22, 2007 (KHARTOUM) ? The minister of foreign affairs, Lam Akol, has been accused of supporting a militia in Upper Nile State, southern Sudan. SPLM chairman Salva Kiir Mayardit has passed a decree to form a committee to investigate accusations from within the SPLM.
Kiir announced the formation of the Upper Nile Investigation Committee last Tuesday, 20 February. The committee will be chaired by Kosta Manibi. Also Anne Itto is a member together with Peter Bashir Ghandi as the secretary. Ms Akon Bol Akool and Nartisio Lolike Mani are members.
According to the presidential spokesman, the committee has to investigate the validity of the allegations raised during the meeting of the Interim National Council against Lam Akol Ajawin. They have in particular to find out the truth behind allegations that he is a leader and financier of the Modern Southern Front and that he is undermining the work off the SPLM in Upper Nile State.
The decree says: "The committee is hereby directed to finalize its work within one month as from 19 February 2007. The SPLM secretary general and SPLM secretary general of the Upper Nile State are thereby directed to facilitate the work of the committee."
The decree by the chairman of the SPLM comes while more and more people in the SPLM-top, are unhappy with the performance of Lam Akol as minister of foreign affairs .
He is regarded as too docile towards the ruling National Congress party of President Al-Bashir. His acceptance of the stand against the UN intervention in Darfur is for many SPLM party members unacceptable.
Related news items:
Newer news items:
- Nuer and Equatorians condemn Sudan SPLM Secretary General - 02/03/2007
- Sudan?s FM denies involvement in action to dismember the SPLM in Upper Nile - 28/02/2007
- Modern Southern Front denies any connection with Dr Lam Akol Ajawin - 27/02/2007
- Latest News(Arabic) - 27/02/2007
- Mass Measles campaign completed in Malakal - 26/02/2007
Older news items:
- Complain from Upper Nile citizens against Dr. Lam Akol - 22/02/2007
- Sudan FM Lam Akol on Darfur and Ties with the US Asharq Al-Awsat 22/03/2006 - 15/02/2007
- Interview with Pagan Amum, Al-Sahafa, January 20, 2007 - 14/02/2007
- Communiqu? of the SPLM Interim National Council (INC) Yei, 12 February 2007 - 13/02/2007
- Latest News - 09/02/2007
Popular news items:
- The Final Communique of SPLM-DC Third Session of the National Council - 29/03/2011 - Read 58574 times
- Roles and Definition of Political Parties - 29/04/2011 - Read 54630 times
- Agriculture in Southern Sudan: Challenges and Investment Opportunities - 06/10/2010 - Read 32018 times
- Fashoda Youth Forum Rehabilitation of Drainage Culverts in Malakal town Report - 07/08/2008 - Read 26249 times
- Dozens of gunmen on horseback ambush peacekeepers - 24/05/2008 - Read 23730 times