By, Cde Meen Gabriel Chol Kuac
In January 2020, the formal reunification of the SPLM/A brought unity to the movement and in July 2002 the right to self Determination for the people of South Sudan was signed in the Machokos Protocol. The SPLM, after lengthy negotiations, successfully Concluded the Comprehensive peace Agreement (CPA) with the government of Sudan, which was signed on January 9th, 2005 in Nairobi Kenya mediated by IGAD and witnessed by Regional and international organizations.
The SPLM recognizes the role played by the chiefs and traditional authority during the liberation struggle, in providing both material and human resources. In Addition to that they used customary law to maintain peace and order among various communities of South Sudan.
On July 9th, 2005, the Chairman of SPLM, Cde Late Dr John Garang de Mabior, took the oath of office in Khartoum as the first Vice president of the Republic of Sudan and President of the Government of Southern Sudan. On the 30th of July, Dr. John Garang died in a tragic helicopter crash in Ariangongorok of Eastern Equatoria, and the Deputy Chairman of SPLM, Cde Gen Salva Kiir Mayardit was unanimously elected by the SPLM leadership Council as the Chairman of the SPLM. On August 11th 2005, he took the oath of the office in Khartoum as the first vice President of the Republic of Sudan and president of the Government of South Sudan.
The SPLM led the people of South Sudan on January 9th, 2011 under the able and visionary leadership of Cde Salva Kiir Mayardit to exercise their right of Self Determination through voting in the Referendum. The result of the Referendum was 98.2% in favour of independence. On July 9th, 2011 South Sudan declared its independence.
The Republic of South Sudan was recognized by the Republic of Sudan and was equally unanimously recognized by the African Union as its 54th member as well as by the United Nations General Assembly as its 193rd member. The achievement of independence and the formation of a new Republic of South Sudan marks a decisive turning point in the history of our struggle.
Happy 9 January to all of you dear fellow citizens.
Thank you comrade Salva Kiir Mayardit the champion of the independent of South Sudan.
By, Cde Meen Gabriel Chol Kuac
The SPLM Senior Political Activist
Newer news items:
Older news items:
- Response to bias song composed by Mr Artist Larson Angok Garang - 09/01/2021
- South Sudan, a Country Sailing in the Sea of Misery - 06/01/2021
- Hon. James Deng Wal is a Real Reformist and Nationalist in South Sudan - 05/01/2021
- To Build South Sudan, The Tree Growing Method Can Guide Us - 04/01/2021
- Open letter to the President - Request to Pardon Teenager Magai Matiop Ngong - 31/12/2020
Popular news items:
- The Final Communique of SPLM-DC Third Session of the National Council - 29/03/2011 - Read 63778 times
- Roles and Definition of Political Parties - 29/04/2011 - Read 56015 times
- Agriculture in Southern Sudan: Challenges and Investment Opportunities - 06/10/2010 - Read 33507 times
- Fashoda Youth Forum Rehabilitation of Drainage Culverts in Malakal town Report - 07/08/2008 - Read 26554 times
- Dozens of gunmen on horseback ambush peacekeepers - 24/05/2008 - Read 24041 times