April 11, 2019 – After months of protests in Sudan, President Omar al-Bashir has been ousted by the country’s military.
George Clooney and John Prendergast, Co-Founders of The Sentry, said: “The people of Sudan have been waiting for this day for a long time, but it is only a tentative first step towards real change. The general who has taken over in this palace coup, Awad Ibn Ouf, has been sanctioned by the United States for orchestrating war crimes in Darfur, just as the just-deposed Omar al-Bashir has been. Bashir is also wanted for genocide and war crimes perpetrated in Darfur, and should be extradited and tried in The Hague for those crimes. However, removing the leader of a violent, corrupt system without dismantling that system is inadequate. The next steps are crucial. The international community must provide all possible support to ensure that the transition is a negotiated and inclusive one, and that the next president of Sudan reflects the will of its people.”
For media inquiries or interview requests, please contact please contact: Megha Swamy, [email protected]
ABOUT THE SENTRY
The Sentry is an investigative team co-founded by George Clooney and John Prendergast that follows the dirty money and builds cases focusing on the war criminals most responsible for Africa’s deadliest conflicts and the corrupt transnational networks that profit from them. The Sentry’s team is composed of financial forensic investigators, international human rights lawyers, regional experts, and former law enforcement agents, intelligence officers, policymakers, investigative journalists, and banking professionals.
The Sentry currently focuses its work on South Sudan, Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, and the Central African Republic. Learn more at www.TheSentry.org.
Newer news items:
- leaders are known by their action ,but not words - 29/04/2019
- Hon. Amb. Ezekiel Lol Gatkuoth is a man of great achievements. - 22/04/2019
- The desperate Sudanese shouldn't blame Omar El Bashir for the secession of South Sudan - 17/04/2019
- George Clooney and John Prendergast: Sudan Needs More than Words - 17/04/2019
- IGAD’s conflicted and partial mediation in South Sudan - 15/04/2019
Older news items:
- South Sudan: Anti-Corruption Reforms Should be a Prerequisite to Wooing Foreign Investment - 11/04/2019
- Alert on Sudan Warns of Severe Risks of Money Laundering, Terror Financing - 02/04/2019
- Who is President Salva Kiir Mayardit? - 02/04/2019
- HOW INTEGRITY AND UNITY ARE CONTRIBUTING IN A COMBINED MANNER TO THE NATION - 01/04/2019
- Amb Ezekiel Lol Gatkuoth: the best and successful petroleum minister in the history of South Sudan - 23/03/2019
Popular news items:
- The Final Communique of SPLM-DC Third Session of the National Council - 29/03/2011 - Read 59786 times
- Roles and Definition of Political Parties - 29/04/2011 - Read 54987 times
- Agriculture in Southern Sudan: Challenges and Investment Opportunities - 06/10/2010 - Read 32380 times
- Fashoda Youth Forum Rehabilitation of Drainage Culverts in Malakal town Report - 07/08/2008 - Read 26321 times
- Dozens of gunmen on horseback ambush peacekeepers - 24/05/2008 - Read 23788 times