South Sudan: President Kiir Removes VP Machar, Appoints
Power play “brings South Sudan a step closer to full-scale war”
July 25, 2016 --- In a potentially destabilizing political move, South Sudan President Salva Kiir has removed First Vice President Riek Machar, replacing him with Mining Minister Taban Deng Gai.
John Prendergast, Founding Director of the Enough Project, said: “This move represents another marker in the South Sudan's slow motion political suicide. It unnecessarily brings South Sudan a step closer to full-scale war, shutting another door to dialogue and trampling on democratic processes espoused by both South Sudan's government and opposition SPLA-IO."
Brian Adeba, Associate Director of Policy at the Enough Project, said: DRAFT: "If President Kiir's action to remove Machar and replace him with Taban Deng proves to be part of an elite pact without grassroots support, it could undermine the peace agreement. It is imperative that South Sudan’s leaders adhere to implementing the peace agreement and not allow inner-circle power plays to bring forth more violence and destabilization."
This April, Machar and Kiir formed a transitional government in late April, agreeing to a peace deal seeking to end more than two years of devastating civil war as those leaders fought over power and the spoils of massive state corruption.
About THE ENOUGH PROJECT
The Enough Project, an atrocity prevention policy group, seeks to build leverage for peace and justice in Africa by helping to create real consequences for the perpetrators and facilitators of genocide and other mass atrocities. Enough aims to counter rights-abusing armed groups and violent kleptocratic regimes that are fueled by grand corruption, transnational crime and terror, and the pillaging and trafficking of minerals, ivory, diamonds, and other natural resources. Enough conducts field research in conflict zones, develops and advocates for policy recommendations, supports social movements in affected countries, and mobilizes public campaigns. Learn more – and join us – at www.EnoughProject.org
Newer news items:
- THE JIENG COUNCIL OF ELDERS REJECTS THE UN SECURITY COUNCIL RESOLUTION 2304 - 04/09/2016
- Time for Dr Riek Machar to restrategise - 12/08/2016
- Dr. Lam Akol resigns his positions in the Transitional Government of National Unity and JMEC - 01/08/2016
- An open letter to Dr. Riek Machar - 31/07/2016
- Al Jazeera’s exclusive interview with Riek Machar in South Sudan 27-07/2016 - 27/07/2016
Older news items:
- The consequences of the South Sudanese government’s violence - 21/07/2016
- Event Summary - Dr. John Garang Memorial Day: Third Anniversary Event Press of July 2nd, 2016 in Lincoln, Nebraska - 19/07/2016
- Press Release by the South Sudanese Community in the UK (14/07/2016) - 15/07/2016
- The USA and the AU are responsible for the demise of South Sudan - 12/07/2016
- The ultimate betrayal of the South Sudanese people - 12/07/2016
Popular news items:
- The Final Communique of SPLM-DC Third Session of the National Council - 29/03/2011 - Read 33562 times
- Roles and Definition of Political Parties - 29/04/2011 - Read 22655 times
- Fashoda Youth Forum Rehabilitation of Drainage Culverts in Malakal town Report - 07/08/2008 - Read 22599 times
- Agriculture in Southern Sudan: Challenges and Investment Opportunities - 06/10/2010 - Read 20797 times
- Dozens of gunmen on horseback ambush peacekeepers - 24/05/2008 - Read 18430 times