Ave Maria and St Thomas Parishes - final farewell and prayers for lost loved ones on All Souls Day (indcatholicnews.com)
Lillian Omari, from the Missionary Community of St Paul the Apostle (MCSPA) writes: During the feast of all Souls, at Ave Maria and St Thomas Parishes in Tombura County, South Sudan, all the Christians come together to join our brothers and sisters who lost someone during this ongoing war in our area.
There are many people who could not bury their families, some because they had to run away from the fighting, others were killed trying to protect their families. Many people we left on the same spot they died. For this, we asked all those who could not bury their families, to write down the names and come with a symbolic leaf wrap to bury their families. It was so emotional, as some families had eight to ten names of their loved ones.
We at Ave Maria continue praying for Peace. Join us as we enter our fourth month of Rosary for peace in South Sudan especially in Tombura County.
Four months ago Lillian wrote:
We would like to ask you to join us (MCSPA) every day to earnestly pray for peace in South Sudan and more so that our mission of Ave Maria is protected from all the fighting going around its mission territory.
In July, the Relief and Rehabilitation Commission coordination office in Ezo County of Western Equatoria state registered 23,550 IDPs (Internally Displaced Persons) from Tombura due to the ongoing violence in Tombura County.
The majority of the IDPs are women and children who are in need of humanitarian support. All men who were trying to flee the fighting have been captured and forced to fight, sometimes even against their own people.
At least 11 people have been reported killed including the former Commissioner of Tombura County Hon Babiro Charles Gbamisi. The death toll has increased since then.
Things are very difficult and tense, and many children are affected and are in need of food and shelter. Let us join our hands to support them with prayer and in kind.
The Missionary Community of St Paul the Apostle (MCSPA) is supported in the UK by New Ways - a charity run by volunteers. For more information or to make a donation click HERE.
Newer news items:
- South Sudan First Vice President Riek Machar directs state governors to end communal violence - 23/11/2021
- South Sudan lauds relations with Zimbabwe - 22/11/2021
- VP Taban Deng Gai inspects Juba, Freedom Bridges - 22/11/2021
- 9 South Sudanese killed in Jonglei attacks - 22/11/2021
- Joy for South Sudan energy provider celebrating its second anniversary - 22/11/2021
Older news items:
- Prize-winning photos capture the grit and suffering of flood survivors in South Sudan - 21/11/2021
- South Sudan: 10 years later and millions remain displaced - 20/11/2021
- Over 200 South Sudan refugees arrive in Uganda - 20/11/2021
- UNICEF lauds release of seven children by armed groups in South Sudan - 20/11/2021
- Archbishop Anyolo takes charge of Nairobi Catholic Archdiocese - 20/11/2021
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 20374 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 18300 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 16227 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 15357 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12837 times