South Sudan peace monitors on Thursday called on parties to quickly settle the disagreement over the composition on the unified army command structure.
Charles Tai Gituai, head of the Revitalized Joint Monitoring Evaluation Commission, said that the delayed settlement is frustrating speedy implementation of the security arrangement critical for peace to prevail.
“Even though some progress has been made in some areas of implementation of the peace agreement, a critical concern remains on the security arrangements, which is fundamental to the peace process,” Gituai said in Juba during the plenary meeting of the parties.
He appealed to the parties to resolve the issue of the ratio of the unified forces and the unified command structure of the necessary unified forces.
He also requested the transitional unity government to avail financial resources for the completion of the transitional security arrangements, including graduation and redeployment of unified forces.
South Sudan descended into conflict in December 2013 after a political dispute between President Salva Kiir and his then deputy Riek Machar caused a split in the army leaving soldiers loyal to the respective leader to fight.
The conflict killed tens of thousands and displaced about 2 million people both internally and externally.
A peace deal signed in 2015 collapsed in the aftermath of renewed violence in July 2016.
Under the 2018 revitalized peace deal, the unified forces made of 83,000 personnel are supposed to take charge of security during the transitional period. Enditem
Newer news items:
- Thai engineers support displaced communities in South Sudan by training them on sustainable farming practices - 02/08/2021
- South Sudan bishops request role in country’s peace negotiations - 01/08/2021
- Complexity of self determination and secession under international law and the Nigerian reality - 01/08/2021
- Tokyo Olympics: South Sudan's Abraham Guem and his race for peace - 01/08/2021
- 2022 Designated As Year Of Artist Mohammad Wardi - 01/08/2021
Older news items:
- East Africa bloc mulls harmonized medicines regulation to improve public health - 01/08/2021
- Police arrests 3 South Sudanese nationals for illegal entry - 31/07/2021
- UN warns of acute food insecurity in 23 countries - 31/07/2021
- South Sudan Price Bulletin, July 2021 - 30/07/2021
- Former US president Barack Obama joins NBA Africa as a strategic partner - 30/07/2021
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 20374 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 18300 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 16227 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 15357 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12837 times