El Managil in El Gezira hit by torrential rainfall, July 2020 (Social media)
On Sunday, the El Ganaa refugee camp in El Jabalein locality near the border between South Sudan and Sudan’s White Nile state was hit by torrential rains. In El Gurashi in neighbouring El Gezira, about 700 families are surrounded by floodwaters.
The flooding has reportedly affected water sources and latrines, which increases the risk of waterborne disease outbreaks. The rains have also affected road access to the El Jabalein locality.
An inter-agency assessment was conducted in the camp on Tuesday. Roads affected by the rains are being rehabilitated, improving access to the affected areas and allowing for the planned distribution of shelter and non-food supplies.
According to local sources in El Gezira, close to 3,500 people (700 families) are surrounded by floodwaters in the area of El Gurashi.
The area has been experiencing heavy rainfall since Saturday. Affected are Mojama El Hilali (300 homes), Kogeila (130 homes), Dar El Salam (98 homes), Dereisa (64 homes) and El Ushara (104 homes), OCHA reported.
The Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD)-Climate Prediction and Applications Centre (ICPAC) forecasts El Gezira will receive over 50 mm of rainfall in the coming days.
Newer news items:
- Police arrests 3 South Sudanese nationals for illegal entry - 31/07/2021
- UN warns of acute food insecurity in 23 countries - 31/07/2021
- South Sudan Price Bulletin, July 2021 - 30/07/2021
- Former US president Barack Obama joins NBA Africa as a strategic partner - 30/07/2021
- Tribal clashes in Sudan's Kordofan kill 20 - 30/07/2021
Older news items:
- Kiir accused of delaying deputy interior minister appointment - 30/07/2021
- EAC lauds Kenya for waiving visa requirements for South Sudan citizens - 30/07/2021
- Aati: Cooperation with South Sudan contributes to achieving development - 29/07/2021
- Chinese doctors end South Sudanese mother's nightmares of miscarriage - 29/07/2021
- Disturbing wave of extrajudicial executions on the rise in South Sudan’s Warrap State – UN experts note - 29/07/2021
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 20314 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 18188 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 16151 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 15251 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12781 times