Elegu, Uganda — Security at the Elegu border point in Atiak Sub-county, Amuru district has been intensified following the entry of hundreds of South Sudanese into Uganda seeking food.
At the border, the security personnel struggle to restrain the South Sudanese nationals from entering the country.
According to the District Health Officer Amuru, Patrick Odong Olwedo, Ugandans coming from South Sudan are allowed entry after being tested. He however says that the challenge is with the South Sudanese who forcefully enter into the country seeking relief food.
He says that the problem started a week ago following the distribution of food in the different refugee settlements.
MPs under the Northern Uganda COVID-19 task force led by Koboko Municipality MP Charles Ayume visited the border to assess the operations of the COVID-19 laboratories and the COVID-19 response in the area.
Labwor County MP Norman Ochero says that Amuru district is one of the epicenter of COVID-19. He explains that security personnel and the residents face challenges restraining the South Sudanese from entering the country. He says that security should be boosted in the area.
Jonam County MP Emmanuel Ongiertho says that the border security, health team are trying their best to contain the situation. He says that apart from the challenge of people trying to force their way into the country, another problem is the health response at the border point that needs to be enhanced.
An estimated 100 people try to cross daily according to sources from the border security.
Newer news items:
- South Sudan athletes to top off prolonged stay in Japan on high - 19/07/2021
- South Sudan: Shelter Cluster Factsheet, Q2 - 2021 - 19/07/2021
- South Sudan stops COVID-19 vaccination after exhausting vaccines - 19/07/2021
- South Sudan's civil servants find it hard to feed their families as food prices soar - 19/07/2021
- Divisions could deter Sudan’s democratic path - 19/07/2021
Older news items:
- Most countries with the greatest burden of HIV still don't recommend dolutegravir for all - 18/07/2021
- Two Ugandan truck drivers shot dead in South Sudan - 17/07/2021
- South Sudanese Man Runs for Refugee Olympic Team - 17/07/2021
- Ethiopian war resumes, and this time, even children are not spared - 17/07/2021
- Turkey donates seeds, agricultural tools to South Sudan - 17/07/2021
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 20247 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 18056 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 16067 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 15171 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12705 times