Ambassador Dang Dinh Quy, Permanent Representative of Vietnam to the UN (Photo: VNA)
Hanoi (VNA) - Ambassador Dang Dinh Quy, Permanent Representative of Vietnam to the UN, chaired a meeting of the UN Security Council (UNSC)'s Committee on South Sudan (Committee 2206) on June 18, which was held again at the UN headquarters for the first time since February 2020 due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Quy, who is also Chairman of Committee 2206, highly valued positive developments in the transition process in South Sudan so far this year, especially the establishment of the transitional parliament.
The Vietnamese diplomat emphasised that the UN, the African Union (AU), the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) and neighbouring countries have played an important role in promoting the peace process in South Sudan which is facing many economic difficulties and humanitarian challenges.
He urged the government of South Sudan and relevant parties to further strengthen cooperation in implementing relevant resolutions of the UNSC, including Resolution 2577, towards removing the arms embargo on South Sudan when conditions permit.
Quy also underlined the need to promote dialogue and cooperation between the Panel of Experts on South Sudan (PoE) and South Sudan, and other countries in the region.
Committee 2206, established pursuant to the UNSC's Resolution 2206, is mandated to supervise the implementation of measures of the UNSC to enhance assurance of peace and security in South Sudan. Vietnam assumes the role of chair of the committee in the 2020-2021 tenure.
Newer news items:
- South Sudan oil block resumes production after 7 years - 21/06/2021
- UN laments stubborn cycles of violence as South Sudan turns 10 - 21/06/2021
- Calls for Death Penalty Rise in Response to South Sudan Lakes State Violence - 21/06/2021
- IOM regional director visits South Sudan - 21/06/2021
- 8 S. Sudan football players test positive for Covid-19 ahead of Arab FIFA tournament - 21/06/2021
Older news items:
- 'I made it,' says South Sudanese who fled to Uganda - 19/06/2021
- World Refugee Day 2021: Five Facts You Need To Know About Refugees - 19/06/2021
- Africa Brexit bonanza! Liz Truss eyes huge six-country trade deal - worth MILLIONS - 19/06/2021
- Cairo, Khartoum take Nile dam issue to UN Security Council - 18/06/2021
- South Sudan authorities pursue Ugandan housemaid for theft of USD 5000 - 18/06/2021
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 20298 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 18160 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 16132 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 15230 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12763 times