Juba, South Sudan | 9th June 2021
The South Sudan NGO Forum is deeply saddened by the killing of two humanitarian health workers in Lakes State, and conveys its condolences to the friends, family and colleagues of the deceased staff. The South Sudan NGO Forum stands in solidarity with all humanitarians affected by violence.
On 7th June, a clearly marked humanitarian convoy was ambushed on the Mapourdit-Aluakluak road when unknown assailants fired at the cars, resulting in two South Sudanese staff working for CUAMM (Doctors with Africa) being killed. This attack happened less than a month after a similar but unrelated attack in Budi County, Eastern Equatoria State in which a health worker employed by Cordaid was killed on the Chukudum-Kapoeta road. 2021 has already seen a significant increase in the killings and attacks on aid workers compared to the same period last year, continuing a highly concerning trend and putting the lives of those in need of life saving assistance at risk. Humanitarian staff must be able to operate safely in South Sudan.
The NGO Forum is extremely worried at the continued violence affecting roads and crisis afflicted parts of South Sudan. At a time that humanitarian needs are worsening, a safe and enabling environment across the country is critical for aid to reach populations in need. The unavoidable result of NGO fatalities incurred along roads is the reduction or suspension of lifesaving aid, with even more lives lost as a consequence.
Beneficiaries are the ultimate victims when insecurity forces humanitarian agencies to suspend or reduce humanitarian operations. The South Sudan NGO Forum calls upon the Government of South Sudan at all levels to ensure that roads in the country are safe to use, and that humanitarian workers and assets are protected. Only then can humanitarian agencies continue to serve the people of South Sudan by reaching communities in need of lifesaving humanitarian assistance.
Note to editors
Statement of the Humanitarian Coordinator: Humanitarian Coordinator a.i. in South Sudan condemns the killing of two aid workers in Yirol West, Lakes
- ^ Humanitarian Coordinator a.i. in South Sudan condemns the killing of two aid workers in Yirol West, Lakes (www.humanitarianresponse.info)
Newer news items:
- Uganda: Export Earnings to Kenya, South Sudan Drop - 10/06/2021
- South Sudan: Kiir Sacks Governor and Administrator in Mini Shuffle - 10/06/2021
- George P. Burdell's Permanent Mark on South Sudan - 09/06/2021
- South Sudan - CCCM Cluster: Situation Report | April 2021 - 09/06/2021
- How British aid abandoned the girls of South Sudan - 09/06/2021
Older news items:
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 20130 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 17777 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 15927 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 15051 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12560 times