CONTEXT AND METHODOLOGY
Yambio town is located in Yambio County, Western Equatoria State, near South Sudan’s border with the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). Yambio town was the centre of significant armed clashes and widespread displacement in 2016 and hosts a large population of internally displaced persons (IDPs), many of whom have started to return home as of early 2018.
This factsheet provides results from the REACH road monitoring exercise in Yambio town, Yambio County. REACH monitors three bus/car parks in Yambio town to record the arrivals and departures of households (HHs) on a daily basis. Daily data is synthesised into a monthly factsheet to provide an overview of wider movement trends, including push/pull factors and intentions.
The following findings are based on primary data collected over 19 days between 6 and 30 April 2021, during which 241 departing HHs (383 individuals) and 52 arriving HHs (91 individuals) were recorded, along with 7 HHs (13 individuals) that were transiting through Yambio town through Yambio’s three bus/car parks. Not all movements in and out of Yambio town were covered. Some arrivals and departures reportedly took place outside of data collection hours (8:00 a.m - 4:30 p.m) and were therefore not included. Moreover, departures are likely to be over-represented due to many arrivals getting off buses early as a result of the matatu system. As such, the data presented in this factsheet is not representative, rather indicative of movement trends for the assessed population.
Newer news items:
Older news items:
- INTERVIEW: ‘No formal gold mining in South Sudan’-Mining ministry - 07/06/2021
- Greater Horn of Africa climate outlook 7 June - 07/06/2021
- Kenya offers to support Sudan’s transition to democracy - 06/06/2021
- EAA, WPDI extend partnership for new project in Uganda, South Sudan - 06/06/2021
- Juba talks: Sudan Govt, SPLM-N ‘nearing draft agreement’ - 06/06/2021
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 20374 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 18300 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 16227 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 15357 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12837 times