The talks in Juba (SUNA)
The South Sudanese mediation for peace negotiations announced on Friday the completion of the review of the government’s comments on the draft framework agreement and the formation of four committees to discuss the discrepancies, provided that it shall submit its report for consultations with the aim of finalising the draft framework agreement.
The government side in the direct negotiations’ session on Friday at the Palm Africa hotel in Juba was chaired by Lieutenant-General Shamseldin Kabashi, member of the Sovereign Council, head of the delegation, while Amar Amoun, Secretary-General of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement, headed the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-North led by Abdelaziz El Hilu (SPLM-N El Hilu).
The mediation rapporteur, Dhieu Mathok, explained in press statements that there are some issues that need to be negotiated, and that the mediation has taken a new approach after seeing the nature of the difference between the two parties. The mediation decided to form committees specialized in cases, i.e., a committee for the system of governance and administration, a committee for security arrangements, a committee for the economy and social affairs, and a committee for the judicial system.
Mathok added that the mediation decided that the movement’s delegation should name one person with two persons for each committee, as well as the government delegation to negotiate until 17:00 on Friday, to remove the dispute in some texts, provided that the committees present their report in the plenary session at 17:00 the same day.
Newer news items:
- South Sudan Displacement Crisis: Yambio Road Monitoring - Yambio County, Western Equatoria State, South Sudan (April 2021) - 07/06/2021
- INTERVIEW: ‘No formal gold mining in South Sudan’-Mining ministry - 07/06/2021
- Greater Horn of Africa climate outlook 7 June - 07/06/2021
- Kenya offers to support Sudan’s transition to democracy - 06/06/2021
- EAA, WPDI extend partnership for new project in Uganda, South Sudan - 06/06/2021
Older news items:
- Kenyan troops back from South Sudan mission - 05/06/2021
- South Sudan: The Country Still Food Insecure Despite Increased Food Production - UN Agencies - 05/06/2021
- Opinion: Investing in Data Saves Lives - 04/06/2021
- Humanitarian Situation Monitoring, Upper Nile State, South Sudan, October - December 2020 - 04/06/2021
- Uproar greets South Sudan's Covid vaccine giveaway - 04/06/2021
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 20247 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 18053 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 16066 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 15170 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12703 times