Assistant coach Lindsey Harding was named the new head coach of the South Sudan women’s basketball team. Harding joined Sacramento’s staff as a player development coach in 2019. She began her coaching career on the Toronto Raptors Summer League team in 2017. Before being hired by the Kings, Harding also spent some time with the Philadelphia 76ers as a scout — the first Black female scout in the NBA — before being promoted to a player development coach.
Harding played nine seasons in the WNBA after being the top pick of the 2007 draft. She played her collegiate career at Duke, where she led the Blue Devils to a 32-2 record in her senior year and was the national player of the year. She also suited up for the Belarus national team during her playing career.
The 36-year-old will take over a South Sudan program that is still in its infancy. The team was granted permission to play in this summer’s FIBA AfroBasket qualifiers, marking the first time in history that the nation will be represented at a women’s competition. AfroBasket begins on Sept. 17, 2021.
The Kings have been at the forefront of the movement for equality in the NBA. The organization had Nancy Lieberman as an assistant coach from 2015-17 and hired Jenny Boucek, who spent a brief time with the team during the 2017 campaign.
Newer news items:
- Why 'business as usual' won't prevent devastating hunger crisis in South Sudan - 20/04/2021
- Chad leader Deby, key Western ally, killed in battle - 20/04/2021
- Nearly 100,000 Poor and Vulnerable People in Juba Start Receiving Cash Payments under South Sudan Safety Net Project - 20/04/2021
- US: Supreme Court likely to bar some ‘green card’ applicants - 19/04/2021
- South Sudan minister reportedly fired shots at soccer match to force his player-wife to be subbed - 19/04/2021
Older news items:
- Not giving up: How I survived war and displacement in South Sudan - 19/04/2021
- New documentary follows MSF staff inside harrowing Bentiu camp - 19/04/2021
- South Sudan joins Malawi in destroying thousands of expired Covid jabs - 19/04/2021
- Recommendations for addressing internal displacement and returns in South Sudan - 19/04/2021
- Egypt, South Sudan sign MoU to build integrated crop livestock fish farming - 19/04/2021
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 20070 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 17663 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 15846 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 15000 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12501 times