The 21 Ordinary Session of the East African Community General Assembly has noted the progress in addmission of new member states’ application including Democratic Republic of Congo(DRC) and South Sudan.
The summit considered DRC’s application to join the community and directed the council to expedite the verification procedures to ascertain whether the country meets all requirements.
The council was also directed to undertake review of Somalia’s application which is yet to start.
Also considered was the report of the accelerated integration of South Sudan and the council, was recommended “to expeite and conclude the process.”
In other resolutions of the summit, French was adopted as third official language of the East African Community after Kiswahili and English, a move that may increase ownership among member countries.
Heads of state of five member countries of Rwanda, Kenya, Uganda, Burundi and South Sudan together with the vice President of Tanzania who represented his country “directed the council to expedite the implementation modalities of the directive,” part of the communique of EAC summit reads.
The adoption of French as official language for the EAC might be a relief for francophone countries like Burundi and DRC, the potential seventh member country of the community whose application is under review.
Newer news items:
- South Kordofan detainees assaulted, stripped of possessions by Sudan intelligence - 01/03/2021
- US, Russia warships dock in strategic Port Sudan - 01/03/2021
- Female “blue beret” doctors in South Sudan - 28/02/2021
- South Sudan mulls extending partial lockdown amid rising COVID-19 cases - 28/02/2021
- What I learned about stress when living in a tent in South Sudan, delivering food to starving people - 28/02/2021
Older news items:
- South Sudan Price Bulletin, February 2021 - 26/02/2021
- Ghanaian Peacekeepers help restore calm and stability following recent violence in South Sudan - 26/02/2021
- SOUTHERN SUDAN: an environmental audit of oil sites is announced - 26/02/2021
- Mixed results in first year of South Sudan's RTGoNU - 26/02/2021
- Vietnamese peacekeeper plants vegetables in South Sudan - 26/02/2021
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 20001 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 17606 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 15811 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 14965 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12463 times