One person was killed and three were wounded in an armed attack on a vehicle carrying nine passengers from El Fasher (North Darfur) to Nyala (South Darfur). The robbery attempt took place last Saturday.
According to the commander of the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) in North Darfur, Lt Col Mubarak Mohamed Abu Zeid, the armed group fired extensively at the vehicle. One of the wounded is in a serious condition and has been taken to El Fasher for treatment.
He also said that one of the attackers was killed during the clash. Two of the alleged perpetrators have been arrested by now, he added.
In El Fasher, the wali (governor) of North Darfur, Mohamed Arabi, announced the arrest of a number of suspects with regard to the looting of the United Nations-African Union Mission in Darfur (UNAMID) base in Saraf Omra. He also confirmed that the state government had taken more additional security measures in Kutum locality.
During a meeting with the governor on Monday in the city of El Fasher, Abu Bakir Sisi from UNAMID expressed his concern about the recurring attacks on the UNAMID base.
He called for further measures to be taken to secure and protect the base as well as local people. He added that the attack on the former UNAMID site in the Saraf Omra locality will negatively affect the reputation of Sudan, which may impact financial support to the country.
- ^ looting of the United Nations-African Union Mission in Darfur (UNAMID) base (www.dabangasudan.org)
Newer news items:
- South Sudan’s Other War: Resolving the Insurgency in Equatoria - 25/02/2021
- South Sudan, Kenya battle it out for post of secretary general of the East African Community (EAC) - 25/02/2021
- Atrocity Alert No. 241: Ethiopia, South Sudan and Yemen - 25/02/2021
- Vaccination campaign aims to reach over 2.8 million children with monovalent oral polio vaccines in South Sudan - 25/02/2021
- 2020 South Sudan Humanitarian Response in Review - 24/02/2021
Older news items:
- S. Sudan among countries most struck by extreme weather - 24/02/2021
- Humanitarian Situation Monitoring, Western and Northern Bahr el Ghazal States, South Sudan, April - September 2020 - 23/02/2021
- South Sudan renews push to reduce power deficit - 23/02/2021
- FIFA: Support for Sudan discussed in landmark visit by FIFA President Gianni Infantino - 23/02/2021
- South Sudan: Nation Holds Women's National League for First Time - 22/02/2021
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 20001 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 17606 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 15811 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 14965 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12463 times