Juba — South Sudan last weekend held its first ever Women National Football League since it seceeded from Sudan nine years ago.
Addressing members of the press on Friday, Francis Amin, South Sudan Football Association President expressed gratitude to his administration for making what was a dream a reality.
"As the president of South Sudan football governing body, I initiated the women league program to follow Fifa standards and the professional way of playing and building women's football.
"I am very happy that we are going to kick off the first ever women's league in South Sudan. It started as a dream but it is now becoming a reality" said Francis.
All the eight teams taking part in the Women's National League represent various regions of South Sudan.
During the weekend's games, Torit women team put eight past Wau women team, while Yambio women team was beaten 3-0 by Yei women team. The Bentiu team scored a first half goal that gave them a 1-0 win against the Kaujok women team.
Last week, South Sudan Football Association appointed Shilen Booysen as the new head coach for the senior women's national team.
Booysen, a South African national who holds CAF A License, was recently the performance analyst for South Africa's women's team at the 2020 COSAFA Women's Champion.
South Sudan was left with no sport infrastructural development by the then Sudan regime, according to reports.
After independence, the country's elected football leaders failed to invest in the sports sector.
However, in March last year, South Sudan embarked on the renovation of the only national stadium in order to suit the international standards as recommended by FIFA.
But in October that year, the sports authorities indefinitely suspended the construction of five $5 million Juba stadium project after a section of the ongoing work collapsed.
After thorough investigations, the ban on renovation project under Girma Shiferaw (G.S) Construction, an Ethiopian Construction Company was lifted by FIFA and the Ministry of Youth and Sports.
Newer news items:
- One killed in Darfur robbery attempt - 24/02/2021
- S. Sudan among countries most struck by extreme weather - 24/02/2021
- Humanitarian Situation Monitoring, Western and Northern Bahr el Ghazal States, South Sudan, April - September 2020 - 23/02/2021
- South Sudan renews push to reduce power deficit - 23/02/2021
- FIFA: Support for Sudan discussed in landmark visit by FIFA President Gianni Infantino - 23/02/2021
Older news items:
- Urgent action needed to tackle triple threat of conflict, flooding and hunger in South Sudan - 22/02/2021
- Kenyan, Nigerian Drug Dealers Arrested With Heroin In South Sudan - 22/02/2021
- Time to Redouble Efforts for Economic Diversification in East Africa - 21/02/2021
- UN reports that despite peace agreement, South Sudan experiencing extreme levels of localized violence - 21/02/2021
- Sudan floats currency, part of measures to overhaul economy - 21/02/2021
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 19943 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 17503 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 15728 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 14895 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12374 times