At least seven people were killed and four others wounded in the Paloch area of Melut County in South Sudan's Upper Nile State when they were attacked by a group of armed men on Saturday evening.
Melut County Executive Director, Lual Chol Mayom, told Radio Tamazuj Sunday that six people died on the spot, while one succumbed to his injuries later in the deadly attack that took place at the Paloch market.
Chol explained that the wounded are receiving treatment at the Paloch Hospital, noting that the attackers fled but security forces are searching for them.
Major General Manyok Gerkuj, Renk County police inspector confirmed the incident, expressed his condolences to the victims' families, and affirmed that the attackers will be brought to book.
He revealed that a joint security committee will visit the crime scene and investigate the circumstances surrounding the attack.
Gerkuj further denied that the incident was linked to a cattle raid last Wednesday in the Wun Ajak area of Paloch in which four people were killed. He insisted that the truth will be revealed once the investigations are over.
Newer news items:
- Turkey delivers equipment to South Sudan farmers, beekeepers - 18/01/2021
- Why strongman Yoweri Museveni has maintained his grip on Uganda for 35 years - 18/01/2021
- Former South Sudan Refugee Acclaimed for Saving COVID-19 Patients in South Africa - 18/01/2021
- South Sudan: Hunger and looming famine puts girls at risk - 18/01/2021
- South Sudan Keen To Strengthen Developmental Ties With Ethiopia - 18/01/2021
Older news items:
- Death toll from violence in Sudan's West Darfur rises to 83 - 17/01/2021
- Sudan and South Sudan sign oil production agreement - 17/01/2021
- South Sudan avoids electricity supply cut off in Juba and surrounding areas - 16/01/2021
- South Sudan to change time zone next month - 15/01/2021
- Secretary-General Appoints Nicholas Haysom of South Africa Special Representative in South Sudan - 15/01/2021
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 19943 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 17503 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 15728 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 14895 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12374 times