This document provides an overview of the Logistics Cluster’s South Sudan River Movement strategy for 2021. In 2020, the Logistics Cluster transported 2,326 mt of humanitarian cargo through barge and boat movements, which accounts for 31% of the entire amount of cargo transported by the Logistics Cluster in 2020 and is a 71% increase compared to 2019. Building on these achievements, the cluster aims at driving logistics and cost efficiencies through the continuation of the transport modality shift undertaken in 2018, crucially decreasing reliance on air transport and continuing the expansion of road and river transport modalities’ use. For river transport, humanitarian cargo will continue to be delivered to over 60 docking sites identified along the White Nile, Bahr El-Jebel, Bahr Az Zeraf and Sobat rivers.
The Logistics Cluster operates with a mix of barges (max 2000 mt) and boats (max 200 mt), allocated depending on requests and destinations.
• Cargo to be delivered along the White Nile river/Bahr El-Jebel will be transported with the barge ex-Bor/Malakal/Renk.
• Cargo to be delivered along the Sobat river will first be transported with boat convoys from either Bor or Malakal depending on cargo availability in each location.
• Cargo to be delivered along Bahr Az Zeraf river will be transported ex-Bor with boat convoys.
Newer news items:
- Ghanaian peacekeepers South Sudan mercy mission - 13/01/2021
- Uganda’s election shows dangers of a captured state - 13/01/2021
- Newly-Wed Sudanese-South Sudanese Couple Fear Persecution - 13/01/2021
- Ethiopia warns Sudan over military build-up amid border tensions - 13/01/2021
- South Sudan says corruption, insecurity frustrating foreign investors - 12/01/2021
Older news items:
- E.African business bloc urges adjusting virus test cost - 12/01/2021
- IGAD Special Envoy meets Machar over peace implementation - 12/01/2021
- Profiles of three front runners of Uganda's presidential election - 10/01/2021
- Reaching those most Vulnerable Amid Floods and Conflict in South Sudan - 10/01/2021
- South Sudan's Machar urges implementation of cooperation deal with Sudan - 10/01/2021
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 20247 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 18056 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 16067 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 15171 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12705 times