Gatkuoth also thanked Egypt for launching an air bridge during the crisis to transport to South Sudan important humanitarian aid, the Egyptian cabinet’s spokesman said in a statement on Monday.
He affirmed Egypt's efforts to support South Sudan came in light of the brotherly relations between the two peoples.
The meeting was attended by Egypt's Minister of Irrigation and Water Resources Mohamed Abdel-Aty.
Torrential rain and floods earlier this year hit South Sudan and submerged many villages and livestock and displaced over 600,000 people since July. The floods were described by the UN as the worst in 60 years.
The South Sudanese minister also praised Egypt’s establishment of technical schools in South Sudan that have qualified students for the job market, as well as the decision to increase the number of scholarships for students of ٍSouth Sudan to study in Egypt.
He expressed his aspiration for further Egyptian support of other South Sudanese students in the country and in Egypt, who receive education at their own expense, especially as the coronavirus implications have affected their income.
Gatkuoth said he wants to enhance cooperation with Egypt and to benefit from the Egyptian experience and distinguished cadres in capacity-building and the establishment of Egyptian investment projects in agriculture, irrigation, electricity and other infrastructure fields.
The minister also requested that Egypt opens a branch of one of its banks in South Sudan, particularly the National Bank of Egypt (NBE).
Gatkuoth called for forming a joint high committee with Egypt.
Prime Minister Madbouly affirmed during the meeting that Egypt will spare no effort to support South Sudanese people in the fields mentioned by the minister, mainly supporting South Sudanese students in Egypt, based on President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi’s directives to support foreign students residing in the country.
Madbouly also expressed Egypt’s willingness to establish investment projects needed in South Sudan.
The prime minister urged coordination with the Egyptian Foreign Ministry to accelerate efforts to form the joint high committee and to hold its first meeting in Cairo before the end of this year.
Concerning the request to open a bank branch in South Sudan, Madbouly said the Governor of the Central Bank of Egypt would be contacted to submit the request to open a branch of the NBE there.
Newer news items:
- Help Save Children in South Sudan - 26/10/2020
- Coronavirus: African Union Member States reporting COVID-19 cases as of 26 October 2020, 6 pm ... - 26/10/2020
- South Sudan conducts a vaccination campaign to protect 93 000 people from yellow fever - 26/10/2020
- South Sudan outclass Chad to record lone win at FIBA AfroBasket 2021 Qualifiers Invitational ... - 26/10/2020
- India Sending Food Items To Sudan, South Sudan, Djibouti And Eritrea: MEA - 26/10/2020
Older news items:
- Women car washers at UNMISS hope to become entrepreneurs in a peaceful South Sudan - 26/10/2020
- US and 31 countries, including South Sudan, sign declaration affirming right to life - 25/10/2020
- Ethiopia Blasts Trump Remark That Egypt Will 'Blow Up' Dam - 25/10/2020
- Yes! to Israel from Khartoum is only a side plot in Sudan drama - analysis - 24/10/2020
- Palestine slams Sudan-Israel normalisation - 24/10/2020
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 19890 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 17380 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 15611 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 14836 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12320 times