JUBA, South Sudan
South Sudan said Wednesday it has recorded 15 new cases of polio, although the country was recently declared free of the virus by the World Health Organization.
The cases have prompted the launch of a vaccination campaign which is set to begin at the end of October, George Awzenio Legge, director of the Expanded Program on Immunization at the Ministry of Health, told Anadolu Agency by phone.
“Currently, the ministry and partners are planning a polio vaccination response to contain the spread of the disease,” Legge said.
He said a four-day campaign will begin on Oct. 27 and will target 1.5 million children under 5 years old in 45 counties where the outbreak was declared before rolling out to other parts.
“We have 15 cases in the whole country, 14 of which are in the greater Bahr el Ghazal region [in the country's northwest],” he said.
The reported cases include five in Warrap State, seven in Western Bahr el Ghazal State and one each in Northern Bahr el Ghazal and Lakes states, as well as one in the city of Torit, the capital of Eastern Equatoria State, he said.
“This is a vaccine derived type, the cVDPV2, circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus Type 2. It's vaccine caused,” Legge noted.
“We want to reach all the children in every corner of South Sudan, at least to stop this outbreak,” he added.
The new polio cases are a setback to South Sudan, which was declared polio-free in August.Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options. 
Newer news items:
- UN envoy calls for int'l support for Sudan-South Sudan rapprochement - 22/10/2020
- South Sudan: Severe flooding increases health risks amid multiple emergencies - 22/10/2020
- South Sudan’s currency loses more value amid plans to change it - 22/10/2020
- A free and fair election is the solution to South Sudan’s woes - 22/10/2020
- South Sudan diplomat collapses, dies in Nairobi bank - 21/10/2020
Older news items:
- Mixed Reaction to South Sudan Currency Rule - 21/10/2020
- African Union Member States reporting COVID-19 cases as of 21 October 2020 - 21/10/2020
- Sudan: army foils coup attempt by retired officers - 21/10/2020
- 9 new Covid-19 cases in quarantine with a possible reinfection - 20/10/2020
- Heads of Mission Concerned About Increased Threat Facing Aid Workers in South Sudan - 20/10/2020
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 19890 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 17380 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 15611 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 14836 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12320 times