FIBA has granted South Sudan Senior Men’s Team a place in the Wild Card Tournament, allowing one more team to advance to AfroBasket 2021 Qualifying Rounds.
The tournament will take place from October 23-25 in Yaounde, Cameroon where they will face Cape Verde, Chad, and Zimbabwe.
The winner of the Wild Card Tournament group will participate in the second round of qualification for the 2021 AfroBasket in Group E with Egypt, Morocco and Uganda.
South Sudan had participated in the zonal preliminary tournament in Nairobi at the start of the year with Kenya advancing to the second round.
Zimbabwe, like South Sudan, had participated in a pre-qualifiers tournament that had Zambia and Madagascar.
Cape Verde who played Algeria in the Zone 1&2 pre-qualifiers will also have another chance at advancing to the final qualifying round while Chad will be playing for the first time.
Franklin Kaweru is the Editor in Chief of Kawowo Sports. He is an ardent basketball enthusiast.
Newer news items:
- Once-in-a-lifetime floods wreak havoc across Africa - 16/09/2020
- UPDATE 1-South Sudan president replaces finance minister, state TV reports - 16/09/2020
- UN envoy warns of delays in South Sudan's peace progress - 16/09/2020
- Statement by Ambassador James Roscoe, Acting UK Deputy Permanent Representative to the UN, at the Security Council briefing on South Sudan - 16/09/2020
- How Britain Has Helped Millions of Children in South Sudan Access Health Care Amid Civil War - 16/09/2020
Older news items:
- South Sudan commemorates International Literacy Day (ILD) - 15/09/2020
- South Sudan Peace Activist Receives US Institute of Peace Award - 15/09/2020
- UN raises alarm over refugee killings in Uganda settlement - 15/09/2020
- South Sudan: No Money to Pay Civil Servants’ Overdue Salaries - 15/09/2020
- A Tale of Two Sudans - 15/09/2020
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 19792 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 17050 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 15450 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 14736 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12241 times