The COVID-19 outbreak continues to evolve in the African region, with a rising incidence of cases and associated deaths. Of the 114,394 reported new cases in the Africa region, the majority, 68% (77,963), were recorded in South Africa, which remains the hardest hit country across the continent and ranks fifth globally. The current figures in the region represent 4.5% of confirmed COVID-19 cases and 1.9% of deaths reported worldwide, according to WHO.
Public health systems globally continue to come under severe strain due to the unprecedented COVID-19 pandemic with total numbers of infected individuals reaching 17,660,523 cases, and 680,894 people have died of the infection globally by the end of the week (WHO COVID-19 Situation Report 195, 2 August 2020). In Africa, there were 802, 792 cases and 13,779 deaths, according to WHO.
South Sudan continues to see a rise in the number of confirmed cases, with 2,437 confirmed cases, 1,211 recoveries, and 47 deaths, as of 3 August 2020.
Newer news items:
- Humanitarian Coordinator a.i. in South Sudan condemns attack on NGO convoy in Central Equatoria - 11/08/2020
- WHO delivers training and infection control in South Sudan - 11/08/2020
- South Sudan: Govt to Reopen Churches as Covid-19 Cases Increase - 11/08/2020
- Six Killed in Port Sudan Inter-Communal Fighting | Voice of America - English - 10/08/2020
- 80 Killed in South Sudan Warrap State's Inter-Communal Fighting - 10/08/2020
Older news items:
- Laxity in COVID-19 preventive measures may further spread virus in South Sudan: official - 10/08/2020
- Eastern Equatoria Governor visits near-inaccessible areas on UNMISS helicopter, urges communities to embrace peace - 10/08/2020
- UNHCR Ethiopia: Refugees and asylum seekers from South Sudan in Gambella region | situational update - July 2020 - 10/08/2020
- Churches call for end to violence in South Sudan - 09/08/2020
- Over 200,000 displaced by floods in South Sudan - 09/08/2020
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 19896 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 17387 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 15620 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 14841 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12324 times