South Sudan's only female governor Sarah Cleto Rial has promised to restore security in the western Bahr El-Ghazal State that has been affected by a six-year-old conflict.
Ms Rial said she would focus on peace and reconciliation.
“We know that there has been some violence amongst the different communities. So my mission is to help in building peace, reconstruct the social fabric which has been damaged by the conflict and ensure that we the people of Western Bahr El-Ghazal State live in unity,” she said.
Ms Rial was appointed by President Salva Kiir in June.
She is a South Sudanese - American citizen who was nominated by the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement in Opposition (SPLM-IO) of First Vice-President Riek Machar.
She was sworn-in few weeks ago after returning from the US.
Newer news items:
- Opinion | Security apace and intercommunal violence in South Sudan - 07/08/2020
- Floods displace 150,000 people in eastern South Sudan - 07/08/2020
- South Sudanese Past Notes Records By Douglas H. Johnson - 06/08/2020
- South Sudan appeals for help after Nile bursts banks - 06/08/2020
- When Greed Transcends Nationalism - 06/08/2020
Older news items:
- £50,000 raised by churchgoers to provide urgent help for Sudan - 06/08/2020
- ‘These were innocent children,’ archbishop says of South Sudan murders - 06/08/2020
- South Sudan: Force Protection map (as of August 2020) - 06/08/2020
- Equity named Bank of the Year in Kenya, Uganda and South Sudan - 06/08/2020
- Bulgak poised on inspiring South Sudan's next generation of stars - 05/08/2020
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 19793 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 17050 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 15450 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 14736 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12241 times