Money has been raised for people in Sudan
CHURCHGOERS in Dorset have contributed towards an emergency appeal to help people in Sudan.
The Diocese of Salisbury said the month-long target had reached its goal of raising £50,000.
While Covid-19 is causing significant problems here in the UK, in Sudan and South Sudan a lethal combination of starvation in the North and a lack of basic sanitation in the South has exacerbated the threat.
Bishop Nicholas Holtam said: "Thank you to everyone for such a heartening response. It is generous, outward looking and caring. I have spoken to both the Archbishops of Khartoum and Juba in the last week and they are deeply thankful for the support of this appeal.”
The funds, which were raised through a combination of a JustGiving site, individual donations and fundraising by parishes, will be divided equally between the Churches in Sudan and South Sudan.
They will be used to provide food for Sudan, where a quarter of the Sudanese population is severely food-insecure. This proportion, the highest ever recorded, is being blamed on the ongoing economic and political crises which have been exacerbated by the impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic.
They will also provide life-saving sanitisers and basic hand washing facilities for South Sudan, where poor sanitation in the refugee camps means coronavirus is able to spread freely among a weakened population.
International agencies say that more than 9.6 million people in the Sudans are in need of urgent assistance.
Newer news items:
- Floods displace 150,000 people in eastern South Sudan - 07/08/2020
- South Sudanese Past Notes Records By Douglas H. Johnson - 06/08/2020
- South Sudan appeals for help after Nile bursts banks - 06/08/2020
- When Greed Transcends Nationalism - 06/08/2020
- South Sudan's only female governor promises security - 06/08/2020
Older news items:
- ‘These were innocent children,’ archbishop says of South Sudan murders - 06/08/2020
- South Sudan: Force Protection map (as of August 2020) - 06/08/2020
- Equity named Bank of the Year in Kenya, Uganda and South Sudan - 06/08/2020
- Bulgak poised on inspiring South Sudan's next generation of stars - 05/08/2020
- South Sudan: Logistics Cluster - Concept of Operations, August 2020 - 05/08/2020
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 19788 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 17036 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 15440 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 14728 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12238 times