CONTEXT AND METHODOLOGY
Nyal town is located in Northern Panyijiar County, Unity State, along the banks of the Sudd, one of the largest swamps in the world. Nyal is a key location for people travelling to and from Central and Southern Unity and nearby islands. Since the start of the crisis, Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) from Unity and Jonglei States, perceiving Nyal as a safe location with ample resources, have been arriving in Nyal.
Since 01 November 2016, REACH has monitored the ports of Gap, Nyal and Katieth in Nyal town on a daily basis to determine the demographics, key push and pull factors, transportation routes and vulnerabilities of the newly arrived and departing population, and provide evidence for more effective humanitarian planning.
To ensure wide coverage of Nyal’s three ports, the REACH team attempts to interview all arrivals and departures at the household level between 7:30 am and 6:30 pm (weekdays). This factsheet is based on data on 737 departures (153 HHs), 882 arrivals (238 HHs), and 20 transits (5 HHs), collected over 22 days from 2 - 30 June 2020. Data presented here is not representative, rather indicative of movement trends for the assessed population.
Newer news items:
- Rwanda and Kenya reopen its skies in time for peak tourism - 31/07/2020
- 1.3 mln South Sudanese children under 5 at risk of acute malnutrition: UNICEF - 31/07/2020
- The lies that bind South Sudanese - 31/07/2020
- Qatar Fund For Development sends medical aid to South Sudan - 29/07/2020
- South Sudan, IOM join forces to fight human trafficking - 29/07/2020
Older news items:
- South Sudan Judge Seeks Reinstatement After Court Ruling Against President Kiir - 29/07/2020
- In Landmark Year, South Sudan Promotes Energy Investment With Webinar And South Sudan Oil Power Event - 29/07/2020
- Reference map of South Sudan (July 2020) - 29/07/2020
- Villagers killed by armed group in Bor County - 29/07/2020
- US concerned over South Sudan peace deal delays - 29/07/2020
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 19938 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 17487 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 15717 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 14886 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12366 times