- Hussein Abdelbagi was among the 188 new coronavirus cases reported by the taskforce on Wednesday, May 27
- The fifth vice president confirmed some members of his support staff also contracted the virus and will be quarantined
- The country's first vice president Riek Machar and his wife Angelina Teny tested positive about two weeks ago
South Sudan's vice president and the chairman of the national emergency response on COVID-19 Hussein Abdelbagi has been confirmed positive for the virus.
Hussein is the country's fifth vice president and the fourth ranking official in the national unity government to make her coronavirus status public in the youngest nation.
In his statement on Wednesday, May 27, Hussein said he and some members of his staff were among the 188 news cases recorded, Eye Radio reported.
The vice president said he would place himself under self-quarantine for the next 14 days and carry out his duties from home.
“I call upon the public to observe the rules, stay home and practice social distancing, washing hands, and avoiding handshaking. The taskforce is working tirelessly to curb the level of spread and transmission, however, the general public must comply with the regulation and this will enable the fight coronavirus effective, stay safe," he said.
The taskforce which was formed to spearhead the South Sudan’s coronavirus fight, confirmed total positive cases increased to 994 with 10 deaths and 6 recoveries.
About two weeks ago, the first vice president Riek Machar and his wife Angelina Teny tested positive for the novel virus on May 13.
Just like Hussein, Machar is also a member of the response team.
Source http://www.bing.com/news/apiclick.aspx?ref=FexRss&aid=&tid=27C3D79275B244C38C8F148D82444C21&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.msn.com%2Fen-xl%2Fnews%2Fother%2Fhussein-abdelbagi-south-sudans-fifth-vice-president-tests-positive-for-covid-19%2Far-BB14HmDC&c=14873084278405306476&mkt=en-ca"This came as a result of the testing done by members of the high level taskforce on Wednesday. A number of other previous members of the taskforce also tested positive,"the taskforce said in a statement.
Newer news items:
- South Sudan Displacement Crisis: Kapoeta Road Monitoring - Kapoeta, Eastern Equatoria State (April 2020) - 29/05/2020
- Primate condemns inter-ethnic violence in South Sudan which led to 280 civilian deaths - 28/05/2020
- RHAM senior raising funds for water in South Sudan - 28/05/2020
- Hundreds killed, villages destroyed in massacres undermining South Sudan’s peace deal - 28/05/2020
- South Sudan new hotspot, 21 truck drivers test COVID-19 positive - 28/05/2020
Older news items:
- Coronavirus Raising Stress Levels In South Sudan - 27/05/2020
- COVID-19 in South Sudan’s Borderlands: A view from Northern Bahr el-Ghazal (May 2020) - 27/05/2020
- Indian peacekeeping officer at South Sudan to receive UN Military Gender Advocate award - 26/05/2020
- South Sudan: an unexplored Eden of biodiversity - 25/05/2020
- South Sudan: Intercommunal fighting on the rise - 25/05/2020
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 20247 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 18053 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 16066 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 15170 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12703 times