The number of coronavirus cases in South Sudan has risen to 655 after 92 people tested positive, the highest tally since the first case was reported in April.
Dr. Makur Koryom, Health Ministry’s Undersecretary told reporters in Juba on Saturday that the new cases were confirmed positive after the public health laboratory tested 218 samples.
He noted that 60 of the new cases are contacts of the previously confirmed cases. "Of all the positive cases, 71 were males and females were 13,” Koryom said.
The undersecretary disclosed that the number of fatalities in the country has risen now reaching eight after two more fatalities were recorded.
No recovery was reported and cumulatively the tally remains at six.
Koryom urged South Sudanese to follow the Ministry of Health guidelines to curb the spread of the virus.
The virus is spread when an infected person coughs or sneezes and the droplets land in the mouths and noses of another person.
A person can also get infected with coronavirus by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or their eyes.
The most effective ways to protect yourself and others against COVID-19 are to frequently clean your hands, cover your cough with the bend of elbow or tissue, and maintain a distance of at least 1 meter from people who are coughing or sneezing.
Newer news items:
- South Sudan: an unexplored Eden of biodiversity - 25/05/2020
- South Sudan: Intercommunal fighting on the rise - 25/05/2020
- Sri Lanka Aviation Unit in South Sudan Receive UN Medals - 25/05/2020
- (Special for CAFS) South Sudan confirms 92 new cases of COVID-19 - 24/05/2020
- Statement from IGAD special envoy for South Sudan - 24/05/2020
Older news items:
- Policy Brief: The COVID-19 Pandemic Vulnerability Factors in South Sudan - 22/05/2020
- UN Volunteers fight against COVID-19 in South Sudan - 22/05/2020
- 10 South Sudan ministers test positive for Coronavirus - 22/05/2020
- UN demands swift justice over ‘appalling’ South Sudan violence - 22/05/2020
- Egypt sends 2nd plane with coronavirus aid to South Sudan - 22/05/2020
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 20190 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 17919 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 15997 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 15104 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12613 times