Egypt's president Abdel Fattah El-Sisi
South Sudanese President Salva Kiir has hailed Egypt's "efforts to support stability" in South Sudan in a phone conversation with Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi, Egypt's presidential spokesman said.
During the call El-Sisi received from Kiir on Wednesday, the Egyptian president welcomed Sudan's efforts to form a transitional unity government, presidency spokesperson Bassam Rady said in a statement.
Earlier this month, South Sudan unveiled a new cabinet in a major step to put in place the national unity government and end years of civil war.
The Egyptian president urged the two sides to work towards implementing all aspects of a peace deal signed in 2018.
El-Sisi stressed that Egypt will "continue to provide all forms of support to... South Sudan and back the peace process there," Rady said.
During the call, the two leaders also discussed bolstering bilateral relations and tackled developments in a number of issues in the region.
Newer news items:
- 'Go home!' South Africa has 1st deaths as lockdown begins - 27/03/2020
- A new Sudan faces corona with little support - 26/03/2020
- Japan city extends South Sudan athletes' stay as Olympics postponed - 26/03/2020
- South Sudan: Logistics Cluster - Concept of Operations, March 2020 - 25/03/2020
- Protection and Human Rights Considerations - Preparedness and Response to COVID-19 for South Sudan - 25/03/2020
Older news items:
- Illegal entry by South Sudan nationals into Uganda worries authorities in Amuru - 25/03/2020
- South Sudan imposes nighttime curfew over coronavirus - 25/03/2020
- Sudan defence minister dies at Juba peace talks - 25/03/2020
- Coronavirus cases in South Africa top 700 as country prepares for lockdown - 25/03/2020
- South Africa's virus cases jump; Mali, Guinea-Bissau get 1st - 25/03/2020
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 19582 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 16441 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 15025 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 14477 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12016 times