A combo picture of Sudanese model Nyakim Gatwech. Photo: Instagram.
Niloufar Saleem, Staff Reporter
Beauty is defined by various standards in different part of the world, but one standard that is common is the need to be light-skinned, which translates to being “more beautiful.”
This South Sudanese model is one amongst others that is changing the narrative of not needing to be light-skinned to be beautiful.
Nyakim Gatwech, labelled ‘the darkest model in the world,’ is a confident model that flaunts her dark skin irrespective of what the world thinks.
Gatwech is a huge advocate of self-acceptance. She is vocal about body positivity and skin colour in all her interviews.
She adds that it is important to hold onto your roots, no one should compromise their origin in order to fit in to the world’s beauty standards.
Gatwech sends a powerful message across to the world on the need to step up and embrace ourselves whole heartedly.
Newer news items:
- South Sudan invites Turkish investors - 26/02/2020
- Wrestlers fight for peace in ravaged South Sudan - 26/02/2020
- South Sudan hold-out groups ask to be included in peace deal - 25/02/2020
- A Major Step Toward Ending South Sudan’s Civil War - 25/02/2020
- South Sudan’s peace deal reveals flaws in Pretoria’s approach to mediation - 25/02/2020
Older news items:
- Troika Statement: Formation of South Sudan’s Revitalized Transitional Government of National Unity - 23/02/2020
- Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) - Protection of people must be priority for new government in South Sudan - 23/02/2020
- Timeline: South Sudan since independence - 23/02/2020
- South Sudan forges ‘unity government’ in bid to end civil war that has killed 400,000 - 22/02/2020
- South Sudan: Education Cluster Partner Presence Map | 2019 - 22/02/2020
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 19589 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 16464 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 15039 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 14488 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12024 times