The main aim of the visit is to find a consensus from the different parties on the issue of the number of states and their boundaries.
During the previous meeting in December, progress was made from five divergent positions to only two (for 23+1 and 32+ states)… and this follow-up meeting was arranged to reach an agreement on just one position on the number of states.
Mabuza, in his capacity as South Africa’s special envoy to South Sudan, has held bilateral meetings with the guarantors to the Agreement to mobilise for their continued support to the peace process.
“During this round of Consultative Meeting of Parties, it is envisaged that an agreement will be reached on a mechanism to amicably resolve the contentious issue of the number of states and boundaries,” the Presidency said.
The finalisation of this matter will pave a way to the formation of the Revitalised Transitional Government of National Unity within the current extended period ending in February 2020.
“We have returned to Juba hopeful that parties will reach an agreement on a workable mechanism to resolve the matter of states and their boundaries. More importantly, [we want] to ensure that a Transitional Government of National Unity of South Sudan is formed before the expiry of the current 100 days extension.
“Our ultimate goal with all these efforts is to ensure a peaceful South Sudan where the guns are silenced for good and where her people pursue their development,” said Mabuza. – SAnews.gov.za
Newer news items:
- South Sudan rivals seek to break deadlock ahead of unity govt - 15/01/2020
- South Sudan Situation: UNHCR Regional Update (November 2019) - 15/01/2020
- Former Sudan spy service men open fire in protest at dismissal terms - 14/01/2020
- South Sudan warring parties sign ceasefire deal after peace talks in Rome - 14/01/2020
- South Sudan thrash Somalia in Afro-basketball opener - 14/01/2020
Older news items:
- Ethiopia PM asks South Africa leader to help in dam dispute - 12/01/2020
- Know About how Counties in South Sudan Battle Starvation and Floods - 11/01/2020
- South Sudan Operation Overview - December 2019 - 10/01/2020
- South Sudan seeks to boost ties with Turkey - 09/01/2020
- South Sudan launches environmental review tender - 09/01/2020
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 20190 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 17918 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 15996 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 15104 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12612 times