An estimated 1.3 million children younger than five years of age required treatment for acute malnutrition as of August, according to a September IPC report. 5 This figure is the highest recorded since South Sudan gained independence in 2011, the UN reports.To address the high childhood malnutrition level, USAID partners such as the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) are providing critical nutrition assistance across the country.
Amid ongoing discussions regarding the status and future of UN Mission in the Republic of South Sudan (UNMISS) protection of civilian (PoC) sites, UN Secretary-General António Guterres submitted a report on September 12 to the UN Security Council (UNSC) on future planning for each of the six PoC sites in the country, including recommendations on facilitating safe returns, where appropriate. As of mid-September, an estimated 180,500 civilians were sheltering in the PoC sites, according to the UN.
In FY 2019, the U.S. Government (USG) provided more than $594 million to support life-saving humanitarian assistance for crisis-affected populations in South Sudan.
Newer news items:
- South Sudan: President, opposition leader hold talks - 19/10/2019
- South Sudan pays $3m arrears owed to EAC bloc - 19/10/2019
- India Supports Orphanage Named After Tb Joshua In South Sudan - 19/10/2019
- Bishop brings attention to South Sudan's humanitarian crisis - 18/10/2019
- Sudan, Rebel Groups Agree on Roadmap for Peace Talks - 18/10/2019
Older news items:
- Sudan rebel faction, government hold 1st round of talks - 18/10/2019
- South Sudan People’s Defense Force (SSPDF) lauds UNMISS for training in international human rights and humanitarian law (by Manyang Mayom) - 18/10/2019
- Unprecedented Flooding Affects Thousands of Locals, Refugees in South Sudan - 18/10/2019
- Opinion | What South Sudan can learn from Ethiopia’s peace process - 18/10/2019
- South Sudan focuses on returning all its oilfields to production, targets 250,000 barrels per day - 18/10/2019
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 19402 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 15797 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 14782 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 14307 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 11854 times