CAPE TOWN (Reuters) - South Sudan’s oil production has reached 178,000 barrels per day (bpd), the oil ministry said on Wednesday, and the country aims for output to reach 200,000 bpd within the next two years.
“We are working on increasing the production of oil,” said Arkangelo Okwang Oler, director-general for planning, training and research at South Sudan’s oil ministry, speaking at an oil conference in Cape Town.
Long-term, South Sudan aims to ramp up production to 350,000 bpd, Oler added, without specifying a time frame.
That level was South Sudan’s peak production before 2012, when a five-year civil war brought the young country’s oil industry to a virtual standstill.
“I am optimistic that we are moving toward a stable government,” Oler said.
South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir and rebel leader Riek Machar have agreed to form a transitional government by the middle of November, the information minister said last month.
South Sudan made a small oil discovery in Northern Upper Nile State in August, its first since independence in 2011. It is expected to launch an oil and gas licensing round at the conference on Thursday.
Reporting by Helen Reid and Wendell Roelf, Editing by Louise Heavens and Mark Potter
Newer news items:
- As Areas of South Sudan Face Famine Conditions, the Unity Government Must Adhere to November Deadline and Immediately Work to Address Food Insecurity in the Country - 10/10/2019
- South Sudan's peace agreement on shaky ground - 09/10/2019
- South Sudan to launch auction of licenses for eight oilfields - 09/10/2019
- South Sudan and AU urged to set meeting on war crimes court - 09/10/2019
- South Sudan oil pipeline leak affects wide area - 09/10/2019
Older news items:
- US Envoy to South Sudan: Implement Peace Deal or Face Sanctions - 08/10/2019
- South Sudan warns of more oil spills after pipeline rupture - 07/10/2019
- "Do you think we will prosecute ourselves?" No prospects for accountability in South Sudan - 07/10/2019
- Amnesty accuses South Sudan of crippling justice system - 07/10/2019
- South Sudan says renegotiating oil deal with Sudan - 07/10/2019
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 19510 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 16230 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 14925 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 14430 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 11971 times