August 24, 2019 (JUBA/KAMPALA) – The South Sudanese President Salva Kiir Mayardit is in Kampala, Uganda for an official state visit.
- The Presidential Press Unit (PPU) said Kiir left Juba Saturday morning.
“The President of the Republic, H.E Salva Kiir Mayardit left Juva this morning for a state visit to Kampala,” partly read PPU’s statement.
Kiir, accompanied by the Minister for the Presidency, is scheduled to meet his Ugandan counterpart, Yoweri Museveni for bilateral talks, which are expected to focus on regional cooperation and security.
The meeting comes just days after the regional bloc (IGAD) convened a meeting in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia on Wednesday to review progress made in the implementation of the Revitalized Agreement on Resolution of the Conflict in South Sudan (ARCSS).
Museveni played a key role in the signing of the September 2018 peace accord, which partially ended South Sudan’s civil war.
The Ugandan leader has, in the past, urged the warring factions involved in the South Sudanese conflict to embrace dialogue in a bid to ensure lasting peace is achieved.
South Sudan descended into violence in December 2013 when President Kiir accused his the former deputy, Riek Machar of plotting to overthrow his rule, accusations the latter dismissed.
The war has killed tens of thousands and displaced millions of others, prompting the United Nations to rank the country as Africa’s biggest refugee crisis.
Newer news items:
- Rwanda peacekeepers conduct cleaning campaign in S. Sudan - 26/08/2019
- Ghanaian National Revenue Authority (NRA) boss Dr. Olympio Attipoe dismissed by South Sudan's Finance Minister - 25/08/2019
- Sudan's sovereign council declares state of emergency in Port Sudan - 25/08/2019
- Sudan's persecuted Christians eye long-sought freedom - 25/08/2019
- PM: Sudan needs $10 billion in foreign aid to rebuild economy - 25/08/2019
Older news items:
- S. Sudan camps in Khartoum ahead of World Cup qualifiers - 24/08/2019
- South Sudan: UN rights experts see little headway on peace deal amid spike in local-level violence - 23/08/2019
- South Sudan's economy improving due to prevailing peace: minister - 23/08/2019
- South Sudan, China ink two technical cooperation deals - 23/08/2019
- UN Commission on Human Rights in South Sudan: Localization of conflict and unaddressed community grievances serve as barriers to sustainable peace - 23/08/2019
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 19509 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 16229 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 14925 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 14430 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 11971 times