JUBA, South Sudan
In an unexpected shakeup, South Sudan’s president on Monday abruptly sacked his foreign minister and two other Cabinet ministers.
Salva Kiir sacked Nhial Deng Nhial, his foreign affairs and international cooperation minister, in a decree announced on South Sudan state radio. Another decree named Nhial’s replacement, Awut Deng Achuil, moving from the gender minister post.
Wildlife Minister Jenna Nunu Kumba and Road and Bridges Minister Rebecca Joshua Okwaci were also sacked.
No reason was given for the changes, but a source in the president’s office who asked not to be named due to restrictions on speaking to the media said one possibility is a new role for Nhial, a former chief negotiator in peace talks in the war-torn country.
South Sudan, ruined by civil war, is trying to recover with a planned unity government with rebels as part of a peace deal to stabilize the country.
About 400,000 people were killed and 4 million others displaced after Kiir violently broke off from his former deputy, Riek Machar, in 2013.Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options. 
Newer news items:
- Sudan to facilitate meeting of South Sudan’s rival leaders - 21/08/2019
- Sudanese opposition leader urges South Sudan to expand mediation team - 20/08/2019
- South Sudan: stalemate over peace deal increases risks of war - 20/08/2019
- South Sudan National Revenue Authority and TradeMark East Africa partner to modernize trade systems - 20/08/2019
- 'Before I was kidnapped I had friends': girl soldiers of South Sudan - 19/08/2019
Older news items:
- South Sudan plans to pump new crude by end of year - 19/08/2019
- South Sudan: Women humanitarians are honoured on World Humanitarian Day - 19/08/2019
- Omar al-Bashir took millions from Saudi Arabia as Sudan president: court hearings - 19/08/2019
- South Sudan Discovers New Oil in Adar; Plans Output by Year-End - 19/08/2019
- Israeli Illegal Arms Trade in South Sudan Was Disguised as “Agriculture” - 18/08/2019
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 19650 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 16634 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 15188 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 14560 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12098 times