Image copyright AFP Image caption
Sudan's ruling military council and civilian opposition alliance have signed a landmark power-sharing deal.
The agreement ushers in a new governing council, including both civilians and generals, to pave the way towards elections and civilian rule.
Mohamed Hamdan "Hemeti" Dagolo - widely regarded as Sudan's most powerful man - has pledged to abide by its terms.
Pro-democracy protests and repression gripped Sudan after long-time ruler Omar al-Bashir was ousted in April.
The prime ministers of Ethiopia and Egypt and the South Sudanese president are among regional leaders attending Saturday's signing ceremony in Khartoum.
Under the deal, a sovereign council, consisting of six civilians and five generals, will run the country until elections.
The two sides have agreed to rotate control of the council for just over three years. A prime minister nominated by civilians is due to be appointed next week.
What did Hemeti say?
"We will stick to every single letter we have agreed on," Hemeti told the BBC's Zeinab Badawi in an interview broadcast ahead of the ceremony.
"Even without the agreement we [would] have to work in this direction because it's in the country's interest," he added. "Therefore we have to carry out the agreement, stick to it and support it."
The RSF have been blamed for recent abuses, including the 3 June massacre during which more than 120 people were reportedly killed, with many of the dead dumped in the River Nile.
RSF leaders have denied planning the killings, which they say were carried out by rogue elements.
Asked about the massacre in the BBC interview, Hemeti said there had been "systematic plotting and conspiracy" to tarnish the reputation of the RSF, whom he described as "protectors" and not killers.
How did the crisis unfold?
The unrest in Sudan can be traced back to December 2018, when then President Bashir's government imposed emergency austerity measures.
Cuts to bread and fuel subsidies sparked demonstrations in the east over living standards and the anger spread to the capital.
The protests broadened into demands for the removal of Mr Bashir - who had been in charge for 30 years.
In April, the president was overthrown by the military after sit-ins outside the defence ministry, but demonstrators then wanted to ensure authority was swiftly transferred to a civilian administration.
A council of generals led by Lt-Gen Abdel Fattah Abdelrahman Burhan assumed power but it has struggled to return normality to the country.
The army is not a unified force in Sudan. Paramilitary organisations and various Islamist militias hold some sway.
Newer news items:
- Sudan's deposed ruler Omar al-Bashir faces trial over corruption - 18/08/2019
- South Sudanese refugees secretly return home - 18/08/2019
- Sudan’s FFC send message of love to Juba as Kiir says ready for close relationship - 17/08/2019
- Sudan Erupts in Celebration After Army and Civilians Agree to Share Power - 17/08/2019
- China offers 29 scholarships to South Sudanese students - 17/08/2019
Older news items:
- South Sudan inks deal with regional trade lobby to ease movement of cargo - 17/08/2019
- South Sudan Key Message Update, August 2019 - 16/08/2019
- South Sudan: latest images reveal a global hotspot for biodiversity - 16/08/2019
- South Sudan conducts a full scale simulation exercise - 16/08/2019
- South Sudan’s FVP brief’s Kiir on integration of rebel forces - 16/08/2019
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 19509 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 16229 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 14925 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 14430 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 11971 times