South Sudan opposition leader Riek Machar on Monday returned to the Sudanese capital from Ethiopia where he held multiple meetings.
According to a statement extended to Radio Tamazuj, Pouk Both Baluang, the SPLM-IO’s director for information said Machar landed in Khartoum on Monday evening.
Machar, who under the terms of the peace deal is to be reinstated as first vice president, went to Addis Ababa on 21 July in response to the invitation extended to him by the UN's Special Representative on Sexual Violence in Conflict, Pramila Patten.
Baluang said Machar and Mrs. Patten discussed issues related to peace and sexual violence in South Sudan.
The opposition official pointed out that Machar also held separate meetings with stakeholders during his stay in Addis Ababa.
Machar, who resides in neighbouring Sudan, is not allowed to travel freely to countries under the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), a regional grouping.
The regional grouping that brokered the South Sudan peace deal is lobbying for a face-to-face meeting between President Salva Kiir and opposition leader Riek Machar to build confidence and discuss the challenges of the peace agreement.
The government has been insisting that Machar can only meet President Salva Kiir in Juba. But the opposition SPLM-IO wants a meeting to take place in Addis Ababa.
Creating a unified army and determining the number of states remain the most challenging issues in the revitalized peace agreement.
Newer news items:
- South Sudan’s Kiir meets with Darfur rebel leader - 14/08/2019
- UK aid to provide vital food to hundreds of thousands of people living on the edge of famine in South Sudan - 14/08/2019
- Local pastor travels to South Sudan to teach at new seminary - 14/08/2019
- New school a small step in healing ethnic divide in South Sudan - 13/08/2019
- Editor Michael Christopher detained by South Sudan authorities - 13/08/2019
Older news items:
- South Sudan activists ramp up pressure for unity government - 12/08/2019
- South Sudan sets up Ebola simulation exercise to enhance border preparedness - 12/08/2019
- AfDB to help streamline South Sudan’s oil sector - 12/08/2019
- South Sudan’s Kiir meets investors from Canada, US - 11/08/2019
- South Sudan: Renk Multi-Sectoral Needs Assessment Brief - Renk County, Upper Nile State, South Sudan, June 2019 - 10/08/2019
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 19409 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 15824 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 14794 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 14314 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 11857 times