JUBA, July 14 (Xinhua) -- The South Sudan Football Association (SSFA) has named a 25-man squad to face rivals Burundi in the Total Africa Nations Championship (CHAN) qualifiers as the Bright Stars attempt to get their first win against fellow east Africans, the Burundi Swallows.
The SSFA has stepped up preparations for the first leg of the encounter set to be played in the Burundian capital, Bujumbura on July 27.
Joseph Louis, chairperson of the Tournaments Committee at the SSFA, said the team will camp in neighboring Uganda ahead of the match.
Louis said preparations for the game are complete as the Bright Stars aim to end a winless run of three matches against the Swallows.
Uganda will host the return leg for South Sudan in early August since the country's only national stadium is under renovation.
South Sudan was initially meant to battle Uganda in the earlier fixture released two months ago, but the arrangement was later changed.
The winner between South Sudan and Burundi will face the winner between Uganda and Somalia in the final round of the zonal qualifiers.
The game will also be first for newly appointed South Sudan national team head coach Ashu Cyprian Besong who only took up the position early this month.
The CHAN tournament is restricted for players playing in their domestic leagues.
Cameroon will host the 2020 CHAN competition after Ethiopia pulled out.
Morocco are the defending champions after edging Nigeria 4-0 in the final last year.
Newer news items:
- Flow of South Sudan's Imports Via Port Sudan Discussed - 15/07/2019
- South Sudan launches first mobile money service - 15/07/2019
- South Sudanese voice pleas for peace - 15/07/2019
- Sudan crisis: Protester 'shot dead' in Sinnar as talks stall - 14/07/2019
- South Sudan and Kenya begin meetings on border issues - 14/07/2019
Older news items:
- There's more to gain in having a stable South Sudan - 13/07/2019
- South Sudan's Machar wants house arrest lifted - 13/07/2019
- South Sudanese journalists push to change press freedom in young country - 12/07/2019
- South Sudan President Agrees to Meet Former Rebel Leader - 12/07/2019
- Uganda tasks South Sudan to beef up security on Nimule-Juba highway - 12/07/2019
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 19702 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 16793 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 15267 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 14618 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12157 times