South Sudan President Salva Kiir has arrived in Johannesburg for a state visit, and to follow up on a recent agreement signed between the two countries regarding oil exploration in South Sudan, according to a statement issued by the South Sudan presidency.
It is unclear whether discussions between the two sides will also include talks on South Sudan’s ongoing peace process, which has suffered setbacks over the last several years.
South Africa has played an active role in the world’s newest country, which ceded from the north in 2011.
The leader of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-In Opposition (SPLM-IO), Dr Riek Machar, spent several years in exile in Pretoria before returning home after signing the revitalised peace agreement in Addis Ababa last year.
Former South African president Thabo Mbeki travelled to South Sudan’s capital Juba in 2018 in his capacity as the African Union’s mediator on Sudan and South Sudan.
In his meeting with Kiir, the two men discussed the speedy implementation of the South Sudan peace deal, which has been monitored by regional bloc, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), aimed at ending five years of a bloody conflict between forces loyal to Kiir and Machar.
– African News Agency (ANA)
Newer news items:
- FIFA slap former South Sudan FA boss Alei with 10-year ban - 24/05/2019
- South Sudan: Reaching victims of snakebite before it’s too late - 24/05/2019
- Juba forum explores ways to advance the status of women in South Sudan (Joshua Mmali) - 24/05/2019
- South Sudan lifts ban on night clubs - 24/05/2019
- South Sudan: Christian Mission for Development 2018 Annual Report - 24/05/2019
Older news items:
- Uganda Parliament approves Shs 900bn for South Sudan compensation - 23/05/2019
- Saving South Sudan’s Peace Deal - 23/05/2019
- 6 kilometers for 2 gallons: Ozark students experience water conditions in South Sudan - 23/05/2019
- South Sudan leader urges opposition groups to genuinely implement peace deal - 23/05/2019
- From Greece and South Sudan to Sunshine Heights: At this club, it's not just about the cricket - 23/05/2019
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 19292 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 15482 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 14626 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 14207 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 11761 times