UNITED NATIONS (Sputnik) - A resolution to extend for a year the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) has been adopted, French Deputy Permanent Representative to the United Nations Anne Gueguen said during a UN Security Council meeting.
"The result of the vote is as follows: 14 votes in favor, no votes against, one abstention", Gueguen said on Friday. "The draft resolution has been adopted as resolution 2459 of 2019". According to the text of the US-sponsored resolution, the United Nations will extend the presence of its good offices in South Sudan for another year to ensure peace and stability in the country.
Russia abstained from voting on the extension of the mandate arguing that the text of the document undermines the importance of the Khartoum agreements while prioritizing other issues.
"We are concerned that the document, which is supposed to clearly outline the mandate of peacekeepers, is overburdened with formulations and wording on gender issues and human rights", Russian First Deputy Permanent Representative to the United Nations Dmitry Polyanskiy said. "The latter is placed higher in tasks of the mission than the implementation of the peace agreement."
Last year, South Sudan's President Salva Kiir signed the peace agreement in the Sudanese capital of Khartoum with the former vice-president and rebel leader Riek Machar to end the civil war that has claimed thousands of lives and displaced millions of people since the beginning of the conflict.
Shortly after gaining independence from Sudan and becoming the world's newest independent nation, fighting erupted in South Sudan in December 2013. In more than five-years of ethnic-based fighting the Dinka tribal forces aligned with Kiir have battled rival Nuer tribal forces led by ousted Machar.
Newer news items:
- In spite of Funding Constraints South Sudan’s Peace Process on - 17/03/2019
- Pope says hopes to visit South Sudan to promote peace - 17/03/2019
- South Sudanese hopeful after president meets with pope - 17/03/2019
- Pope Francis, Kiir discussed peace and reconciliation in South Sudan - 17/03/2019
- Pope Keen on Visiting South Sudan - 16/03/2019
Older news items:
- Lobby proposes delay of new govt in S.Sudan - 16/03/2019
- South Sudan says peace process on course despite funding delays - 16/03/2019
- South Sudan finds new Coach for failing at 2019 AFCON qualifiers - 16/03/2019
- S. Sudan Rebels Urge Pressure on Kiir to Fund Peace Implementation - 16/03/2019
- Security Council Extends Mandate of United Nations Mission in South Sudan, Adopting Resolution 2459 (2019) by 14 Votes to None, 1 Abstention - 15/03/2019
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 19702 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 16791 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 15266 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 14618 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12157 times