Ugandan-based Aptech Africa, a solar energy and water solution specialists, recently successfully designed, built and installed the first off-grid solar-battery hybrid power system in South Sudan.
This USAID funded project, developed by AECOM International, incorporated a one-of-a-kind containerised PV storage solution by South African-based Sustainable Power Generation (SustainPower).
In record time, Aptech Africa planned, installed and commissioned the 79kWp ground mounted solar power system, which feeds a SustainPower 125kWh lithium-ion storage system, SustainSolar.
From their office in Cape Town, SustainPower built and delivered its pre-installed, temperature controlled, rugged SustainSolar 20-foot container, equipped with SMA solar and battery inverters and BYD batteries.
This turn-key solution helped to reduce the installation time on site and ensures a safe and tamper-proof operation of this world-class energy management and storage system.
Power to popular radio station
In South Sudan’s capital city, Juba, a leading radio station, Eye Radio, is no longer dependent on its old diesel generators. Read more: Regional motivation to develop South Sudan’s hydro power capacity
This is thanks to the new solar powered battery system, with engineering support from AECOM International Development, being the radio station’s primary power supply. The diesel generators are now only being used as backup.
Renewable energy that pays for itself
With the significantly reduced running time of the diesel gensets, the fuel savings alone will lead to a speedy payback of the hybrid-storage system. This also serves as proof of concept that solar and battery systems not only offer a sustainable renewable energy solution, but also make financial sense for most diesel powered off-grid operations that are so frequently found across Africa, and elsewhere.
Furthermore, Aptech Africa - with representations in seven African countries – and SustainSolar will foster this new partnership. Discussions are already underway regarding additional sustainable energy projects into Africa.
- ^ Read more: Regional motivation to develop South Sudan’s hydro power capacity (www.esi-africa.com)
Newer news items:
- Oranto Petroleum Increases its Support to the Education of South Sudan’s Communities - 11/03/2019
- Peace deal holds in South Sudan, but humanitarian funding ‘ultimately unsustainable,’ says top UN envoy - 11/03/2019
- East African Court of Justice (EACJ) Summons South Sudan Government Over Businessman's Detention - 11/03/2019
- South Sudan needs to be supported, says UN official - 11/03/2019
- South Sudan peace implementation is not only matter of money: says U.S. - 10/03/2019
Older news items:
- Peace Deal Holds in South Sudan - 09/03/2019
- Support South Sudan peace deal because there is no plan B: UNMISS head - 08/03/2019
- South Sudanese Officials Call for End to Sexual Violence - 08/03/2019
- Sudan's Bashir says Port Sudan terminal deal under review - 08/03/2019
- UN envoy: Violence possible if South Sudan peace falters - 08/03/2019
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 19068 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 14719 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 14411 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 13974 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 11603 times