Port Sudan workers have opposed the contract and hundreds of them went on strike in February 2019 at a time when nationwide demonstrations have rocked Bashir's three decades-long rule (AFP Photo/ASHRAF SHAZLY)
Khartoum (AFP) - Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir Friday said that a deal to transfer the container terminal at Port Sudan to a Philippines company is under review after workers held a strike against the contract.
Hundreds of workers at Port Sudan, a vital economic hub of the east African country, went on strike for days last month to oppose Khartoum's decision to transfer control of the terminal to the foreign firm International Container Terminal Services Inc (ICTSI).
"We have already ordered a review of the contract with the Philippines company to ensure that it is a fair contact for Sudanese people," Bashir told a gathering of people from east Sudan at his residence in Khartoum.
The presidency's media office also confirmed that Bashir had ordered a review of the contract.
In July 2018, ICTSI informed the Philippines Securities and Exchange Commission that it had won a bid to operate and manage the terminal under a 20-year concession.
The company said on its website that the tender process had been led by Sudan's state-run Sea Ports Corporation (SPC) and had attracted bids from several international operators.
SPC builds, maintains and governs Sudan's ports, harbours and lighthouses.
Port Sudan workers have opposed the contract and hundreds of them went on strike last month at a time when nationwide demonstrations have rocked Bashir's rule stretching back three decades.
Protesters have taken to the streets, accusing his administration of mismanaging the country's economy.
Sudan's economic woes have long caused popular frustration, but anger spilled on to the streets in December after the government tripled the price of bread.
Soaring inflation along with acute foreign currency shortages have severely impacted Sudan's economy, especially after South Sudan won independence in 2011, taking with it the bulk of oil earnings.
Officials say 31 people have died in protest related violence so far, while Human Rights Watch has put the death toll at at least 51.
Bashir has imposed a slew of tough measures, including a year-long state of emergency across the country, to quell the protests after the initial crackdown failed to suppress the movement.
Newer news items:
- South Sudan peace implementation is not only matter of money: says U.S. - 10/03/2019
- Clean energy for Africa by Africans makes appearance in South Sudan - 09/03/2019
- Peace Deal Holds in South Sudan - 09/03/2019
- Support South Sudan peace deal because there is no plan B: UNMISS head - 08/03/2019
- South Sudanese Officials Call for End to Sexual Violence - 08/03/2019
Older news items:
- UN envoy: Violence possible if South Sudan peace falters - 08/03/2019
- UN envoy sees prospects for South Sudan peace deal - 08/03/2019
- South Sudan military court sentences soldiers to death for killing civilians - 08/03/2019
- South Sudan's New Government Likely Won't Be Formed by Deadline - 08/03/2019
- Opinion: There is no res nullius land to be seized in South Sudan - 07/03/2019
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 19719 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 16868 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 15305 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 14642 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12173 times