A South Sudan military court Friday sentenced three soldiers to death by firing squad, and a fourth to 10 years’ imprisonment, for killing two civilians in their homes in robbery-motivated attacks last year.
The victims — Lilian Lurit, mother of a nine-month-old child, and Ayol Majak — were killed in separate attacks at night, as gangs robbed their homes.
Two civilians who acted with the soldiers were also convicted — one of them sentenced to life imprisonment and the other to eight years in jail.
All four soldiers, two of them with the rank of sergeant, have been dismissed from the army.
Brigadier General Santo Domic, a military spokesman, said the prosecution was the first of its kind to hold accountable soldiers who terrorise residential areas in South Sudan’s capital, Juba, and elsewhere at night.
“This is a signal that the SSPDF (South Sudan People’s Defence Force)… does not accommodate criminality,” he told reporters after the ruling.
The convicted men’s lawyer said they would appeal.
Amnesty International last year accused the government of South Sudan and its allied militias of carrying out “war crimes” of “staggering brutality” in attacks on civilians who it said in a report were “shot dead, burnt alive, hanged in trees, and run over with armoured vehicles.”
The group also documented “systematic sexual violence”, rape and gang-rape as well as abductions of women and girls, and the deliberate killing of young boys and male infants.
War broke out in the world’s newest nation in December 2013, when President Salva Kiir accused his former deputy, Riek Machar, of plotting a coup.
The ensuing battle for power between Kiir, a member of the Dinka tribe, and Machar, a Nuer, meant the conflict quickly took on an ethnic character with civilians targeted by both sides for massacre and widespread rape.
The vicious war has killed nearly 400,000 people, pushed millions to the brink of starvation and scattered refugees across East Africa.
Kiir and Machar signed a ceasefire deal last year that the UN and observers warn appears to be breaking up.
In September last year, 10 soldiers were found guilty of an attack on a hotel in the capital Juba in which five foreign aid workers were gang-raped and a South Sudanese journalist killed.
But commanders and their political masters are not held to account for such acts.
Newer news items:
- Support South Sudan peace deal because there is no plan B: UNMISS head - 08/03/2019
- South Sudanese Officials Call for End to Sexual Violence - 08/03/2019
- Sudan's Bashir says Port Sudan terminal deal under review - 08/03/2019
- UN envoy: Violence possible if South Sudan peace falters - 08/03/2019
- UN envoy sees prospects for South Sudan peace deal - 08/03/2019
Older news items:
- South Sudan's New Government Likely Won't Be Formed by Deadline - 08/03/2019
- Opinion: There is no res nullius land to be seized in South Sudan - 07/03/2019
- US State Department awards Irish nun for education work in South Sudan - 07/03/2019
- South Sudan women call for gender equality to reduce levels of violence - 07/03/2019
- The South Sudanese radio show run entirely by women for women - 07/03/2019
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 19702 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 16791 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 15266 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 14618 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12157 times