The deadline for warring parties to form a unity government in South Sudan is three months away.
South Sudan’s peace pact indicated that the former warring factions need to unify their armed forces before a unity government is formed.
In September last year, President Salva Kiir and Riek Machar signed the deal in Addis Abba, Ethiopia.
Dr. Riek will come and other opposition leaders will come, so I am seriously very optimistic about this peace agreement.
“When we finish putting them in the cantonment sites, they will be taken to the unified training centers which is yet to be established. Then from there, they will be graduated and deployed”, said Lam Paul Gabriel, deputy military spokesman, Sudan People’s Liberation Army In Opposition.
South Sudanese political analyst Andreas M. Mabior said he has faith in the current peace deal.
“There is a political will to implement the agreement, so Dr. Riek will come and other opposition leaders will come, so I am seriously very optimistic about this peace agreement, there are still some challenges, the challenge of the funding”, he said.
The United Nations Mission in South Sudan said 190,000 internally displaced persons are still living in its offices throughout the country.
The Government says it is ready to organize a voluntary repatriation with support from the United Nations.
Newer news items:
- South Sudan Aims To Boost Oil Production To 350,000 Bpd By Mid-2020 - 11/02/2019
- EDITORIAL: Is Sudan’s Ruler on the Ropes? - 11/02/2019
- South Sudan: Talking about prisoners of war - 11/02/2019
- Holdout opposition accuses South Sudan army of preparing new attacks - 10/02/2019
- South Sudan dropped out of the news due to the assumption that ‘peace’ meant all was well – it wasn’t - 10/02/2019
Older news items:
- Chopper Crash Kills Three at Disputed South Sudan, Sudan Border - 10/02/2019
- South Sudan Operation Overview - January 2019 - 10/02/2019
- South Sudan to return to pre-war oil production levels by mid-2020: minister - 10/02/2019
- Does Juba Even Care About Protecting Girls From Sexual Violence? - 10/02/2019
- State Center-based clean water team building wells in South Sudan - 09/02/2019
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 19031 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 14606 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 14375 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 13804 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 11580 times