At least 42 people had been killed and over 78 others wounded in South Sudan’s Bieh State after armed men attacked cattle Keepers in Duachan and Kolabiel areas, a local officials said on Wednesday.
Johnson Gony Bilu, Akobo state governor, told Xinhua that fighting erupted on Jan. 6 and escalated subsequent days in Akobo and Nyirol east in the eastern part of South Sudan, while the pastoralists were grazing their animals. “We regret the inhuman act committed by the Murle tribesmen.
The incident is outrageous and has beset the local population in the area,” said Bilu. He confirmed that more than 42 people who were mainly women and children died after the attack, while 78 others sustained injuries and more than 100 cattle stolen. The official condemned the attack on the innocent children and women. The region has suffered decades of communal and tribal violence, mainly caused by cattle raiding, child abduction and grazing land.
Newer news items:
- South Sudan: Singer Faces Deportation for Killing Antelopes in Northern Uganda - 12/01/2019
- South Sudan Begins Screening Foreigners - 12/01/2019
- Sudan protests continue despite police crackdown - 12/01/2019
- Sudan police fire tear gas as organisers call nationwide protests - 11/01/2019
- His parents fled civil war in South Sudan. Now Utah’s Both Gach wants to be a role model for a growing wave of South Sudanese hoopers. - 11/01/2019
Older news items:
- UK Government will send MAGGOTS to war zones in Syria and South Sudan - 11/01/2019
- Sudan activists: 3 protesters killed in clashes with police - 10/01/2019
- Sudan worshippers turn on imam over protests against President Bashir - 10/01/2019
- South Sudan issues advisory note to nationals in Sudan amid violent protests - 10/01/2019
- Electoral mayhem in the DRC, violent suppression in Sudan, and more - 10/01/2019
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 19819 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 17163 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 15492 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 14761 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 12266 times