December 1, 2018 (JUBA) South Sudan peace implementation monitory body has launched an investigation into the alleged rape of 125 women and girls in Rubkona area in the northern part of the country.
The sexual assault announced by Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) on Friday occurred between 19 and 29 November 2018 in a violation of the revitalized peace agreement which was signed on 12 September and after extensive awareness campaign to brief the local forces on the need to cease hostilities.
"CTSAMVM is aware of recent reports of 125 cases of sexual violence allegedly carried out by men in uniform in the Bentiu-Rubkona area. CTSAMVM has opened an investigation into these reports and intends to report their findings in as timely a manner as possible," said a statement issued on Saturday.
The statement urged the parties to the revitalised pact to respect the commitments they made under ceasefire agreement and refrain from any prohibited acts.
"CTSAMVM also urges the Parties to investigate any cases of SGBV (Sexual and Gender-Based Violence) as required by the agreement under article 184.108.40.206 and hold to account those under their command who may have committed such acts," stressed the statement.
Until now there is no indication on who committed the sexual abuse. Also, neither the government or the opposition armies issued a statement condemning the rape of 125 women.
MSF said some victims are girls under 10 years old and others are women older than 65. Even pregnant women have not been spared from these brutal attacks.
Newer news items:
- South Sudan eyes debutant appearance at 2019 Special Olympics - 04/12/2018
- South Sudan refugee crisis - money raised in Ireland helping those fleeing violence - 03/12/2018
- South Sudan commemorates the World AIDS Day 2018 - 03/12/2018
- Forecasting trouble: How South Sudan's weather service is failing farmers - 02/12/2018
- South Sudan's SSOA cannot be chaired by UN blacklisted leader : Changson - 02/12/2018
Older news items:
- Gunmen 'raped, whipped and clubbed' 125 women and girls in South Sudan: MSF - 01/12/2018
- South Sudan Faces one of the World’s Worst Displacement Crises - 30/11/2018
- Sudan extends for 6 months humanitarian corridor to South Sudan - 30/11/2018
- Girls under 10 raped by gunmen in South Sudan - aid agency - 30/11/2018
- ‘Horrific Sexual Violence’ Targets South Sudan Women - 30/11/2018
Popular news items:
- No oil in troubled waters - 25/03/2014 - Read 19524 times
- School exam results in South Sudan show decline - Bikya Masr - 01/04/2012 - Read 16302 times
- Former Lost Boy Gives Back to South Sudan - Care2.com (blog) - 31/05/2012 - Read 14949 times
- NDSU student from South Sudan receives scholarship - In-Forum - 29/09/2012 - Read 14438 times
- With prisons full, South Sudan to introduce mobile courts to clear backlog of ... - Washington Post - 11/10/2012 - Read 11982 times